The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
More Meaningful Maps and Being Ideologically Land-locked

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Michael Cote

Nickname: bushwald

Cote is a programmer in Austin, Texas.
More Meaningful Maps and Being Ideologically Land-locked Posted: Nov 19, 2003 8:01 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Michael Cote.
Original Post: More Meaningful Maps and Being Ideologically Land-locked
Feed Title: Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.
Feed URL: https://cote.io/feed/
Feed Description: Using Java to get to the ideal state.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Michael Cote
Latest Posts From Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.

Advertisement

Check out this re-jiggering of the Calf. vote break-down. It doesn't reveal anything shocking that a numbers minded person wouldn't think of themselves, but the contrast between the two styles of maps (and their pixel-to-vote values) is pretty shocking: well, re: how much data is lost by the purely geographic one.

It also brings up the idea of politically land-locked cities -- The Bay is a huge hunk of liberal folks surrounded by a more conservative state. We've got similar problems, on a smaller scale, here in Austin. As Zane has pointed out many times our "Winner Takes All" system robs political minorities all too frequently.

Things like redistricting, the continuing success of our former governor, and my thoughts on the Hoopla of the Week (spelled out pretty well by SK Bubba) make me feel increasingly ideologically land-locked. I don't think that's a good or "cool" thing either: it just makes life harder.

(Map link found at DUH BLOG.)

Read: More Meaningful Maps and Being Ideologically Land-locked

Topic: Panther, Xcode, JBoss and XDoclet Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: He's Still Got It!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use