The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
JavaScript To Fragment, The End Of The Reign Of The Browsers

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
JavaScript To Fragment, The End Of The Reign Of The Browsers Posted: Nov 6, 2007 6:51 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: JavaScript To Fragment, The End Of The Reign Of The Browsers
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

This doesn't sound good:

Brendan Eich: ... the proposed ECMAScript 4th edition (ES4) grammar is a bit more than twice as big as ES3's
... Pratap Lakshman (Microsoft): "We do not support or agree to the current ES4 proposal, either in whole or in part."
... The July 2006 meeting notes include a statement from Pratap that ES4 would be implemented in the next major IE release after IE7.
... Of course this all changed, starting early in 2007, officially only in March.
... But the cold hard fact, documented in that September face-to-face meeting note, is that the dissenting minority in TG1 rejects ES4 in whole and in part.
... Is it still possible for everyone to win? I have to say I'm not as positive as I used to be.

It appears that Microsoft and Yahoo! has thrown a roadblock onto the path of evolution of JavaScript.

Brandan is trying to keep a straight face and not to discuss the ulterior motives behind Microsoft's sudden change of hearts on the new JavaScript proposal. But as a commenter in the quoted blog entry points out, Microsoft is not interested in the enhancements offered in the new language proposal.

Yahoo!'s rejection is not as dark as Microsofts. Douglas Crockford, whom I assume is still with Yahoo!, made this comment:

Douglas Crockford: The name is exactly the point. A new language should have a new name. The deltas from ES3 to the proposed language are larger than ES3 itself. Claims of backward compatibility do not change the fact that there is more than enough new material in the proposal to make it a new language.

The lambda-geek in me is sympathetic to this position. After all, who wouldn't like the beauty of a clever little language off the beaten path and still useful in the real world.

However, as shown bt GWT, JavaScript has become an assembler of the web. And it needs to grow up. Or it risk being overtaken by other languages.

My crystal ball is showing a fragmentation of the JavaScript language—ES4 in Mozilla and ES3.1 in IE8. And the cross-browser application development will happen in the intersection of the two, which is pretty much like the currently available JavaScript in Mozilla and IE7. The extra features simply won't be used.

Mean while, there's life outside the browser:

David Herron: ... Where I've gotten to is an idea that the Internet has been trapped in this prison-like shell we call a 'Web Browser'.
...I do see that the major Internet platform providers ... Mozilla, Microsoft, Adobe and Sun ... that we all seem to see this. That Rich Internet Applications do not need to be trapped within the web jail.
We are all working on application platforms which offer a way to build rich internet applications which run outside the web browser.

Folks, the browser platform is passé. The race for the next round of cross-platform (note: not cross-browser) internet applications (note: not web applications) has already started. And my prediction is that JavaFX Script will win.

Read: JavaScript To Fragment, The End Of The Reign Of The Browsers

Topic: links for 2007-10-29 from PeopleOverProcess.com Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Wasp Week Day 7: Great Golden Digger Wasp

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use