The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Java 6 still missing on Mac OS X

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Wolf Paulus

Nickname: wolfpaulus

Wolf Paulus is an experienced software developer focusing on Java, XML, Mac OS X, wireless/mobile ..
Java 6 still missing on Mac OS X Posted: Oct 27, 2007 2:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Wolf Paulus.
Original Post: Java 6 still missing on Mac OS X
Feed Title: Wolf's Web Journal
Feed URL: http://wolfpaulus.com/feed/
Feed Description: Journal - dedicated to excellence, and motivated by enthusiasm to trying new things
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Wolf Paulus
Latest Posts From Wolf's Web Journal

Advertisement
Java on OS X
Like so many other Java developers enjoying a Macintosh as their primary computer, I installed the new Mac OS X v10.5 a.k.a Leopard this morning. No matter if you got it at the store last night, delivered by FedEx, or via download as part of your ADC subscription, the official Gold Master release (9A581) does not contain the long awaited Java 6 Runtime.

Apple updated the Java version in OS X v10.5 from 1.5.0_07 to 1.5.0_13 but Java 6 is nowhere to be found in Leopard nor anywhere on Apple's website. Previously available Java 1.6 developer preview releases also have been removed and don't seem to be available at this time.
The hypothetical question 'What would you do, if Java 6 on Mac OS X would never be ?' that I had asked just a couple days ago, seems to have turned into a much more actual one today.

Given that Apple has not released any time frame for when to expect Java 6 on OS X, as a Java developer, I have to ask myself at what point developing on Mac becomes disadvantages. While the flawlessly working beautiful machines with their secure Unix underpinning provide an obvious upper-hand over Java Developers on Windows boxes, having to work with a Java Development Kit and Runtime that is now years behind of what's available on Windows, Linux, and Solaris becomes a real burden.
Honestly, the unavailability of Java 6 in OS X Leopard has put all of us Java Developers on a Mac, into a position that becomes a little harder to explain and to defend every day.
--
Wolf

Read: Java 6 still missing on Mac OS X

Topic: The Big Faceless Organization has released the Big Faceless PDF Library 2.8.5. Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Links for 2007-10-18 [del.icio.us]

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use