The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
How VMware ignores hundreds of customer requests...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Marc Logemann

Nickname: loge

Marc Logemann is founder of www.logentis.de a Java consultancy
How VMware ignores hundreds of customer requests... Posted: Oct 17, 2007 5:30 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Marc Logemann.
Original Post: How VMware ignores hundreds of customer requests...
Feed Title: Logemann Blog
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LogemannBlog
Feed Description: Marc Logemann's thoughts on java and other stuff
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Marc Logemann
Latest Posts From Logemann Blog

Advertisement

VMware is the number one player in the VM market. Fine. They offer VMware server for linux and windows. Okay. To easily create virtual machine you need a VMware remote console. These are also only available for windows and linux. So where is the problem might some people say. How about the daily increasing number of Mac OS X users in form of developers and administrators for example? Take a look at this thread you will see the top of the iceberg of the user demand (and look how long this thread is alive, thats awesome and a bad sign of company support right?). I also added my 2 cents there, but since its very hard to read because they strip out line breaks (very useful feature in a forum), i repost it here.

First of all, even i can live with remote x11 when working with the remote console on my mac (with linux/vmware console as x11 client), i nevertheless cant understand vmware here. Porting an x11 app to mac os x really cant be that hard! This is a laughable effort and i really dont know why this is a problem. Ok, we all know x11 apps on mac suck, but remote x11 apps suck even more because its way harder to automate the startup. Today i started looking at how OpenOffice and Gimp are doing the startup: They wrote custom scripts (OO:applescript and Gimp:shellscript) which start X and then do the invocation of the apps itself. This is complicated enough but also implemeting correct SSH tunneling in the script will take even more time. So why the hell dont they just provide a first “version” of remote console as X11 mac app. I repeat, the effort is not worth talking about it. OpenOffice and Gimp have done the same with a magnitude larger projects and their resources on the mac “port” are most likely much more limited than what a multi million dollar company can fork out.

I agree that a cocoa version of remote console would take some more time but keep in mind that we dont speak about OpenOffice here. OO will have most likely a 100 times more screens to code in cocoa. Remote console is simple enough to code a GUI for it in a reasonable time. I still cant believe that they are ignoring the market share of Mac OS X. I know a lot administrators who switched from linux to mac os x and these are the persons who would like to see native remote consoles. Then we have all the programmers (me for example) that have some skills in system administration, needed for app testing and stuff and this group is even more addicted to mac os x. So all these people would love to see such a native console. Whats the problem? It cant be a resource problem, they have a lot venture capital from big players….

Read: How VMware ignores hundreds of customer requests...

Topic: The Death Of An iPod Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: IBM developerWorks : This newsfeed has moved

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use