The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Vinny Carpenter

Nickname: vscarpente

Vinny is a Java developer/architect working with Java, J2EE, OO, Linux, OpenSource.
RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 Posted: Nov 14, 2003 2:22 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Vinny Carpenter.
Original Post: RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0
Feed Title: Vinny Carpenter's Blog
Feed URL: http://www.j2eegeek.com/error.html
Feed Description: Welcome to my blog. I am a total Java geek that lives in Milwaukee, making my living as an architect/developer, spending all my time with Java, J2EE, OO, Linux, and open source. In my spare time, when I am not in front of my computers, I spend every other minute with my other loves: My wife, books, music, guitars, Formula-1 racing and StarGate. Check out my blog @ http://www.j2eegeek.com/blog
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Vinny Carpenter
Latest Posts From Vinny Carpenter's Blog

Advertisement

With the release of RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0, RedHat is poised to make an serious dent in the Enterprise space. I spent some time with our technical sales engineer from RedHat last week to talk their latest product offering. There are many improvements in v3.0 that will should help resolve some of the issues people are facing today with AS 2.1.

Some of the major changes/improvements are:
  • Same codebase for all 7 platforms and sold on a annual subscription basis.
  • 12-18 month release cycle and five years of support for every version
  • New threading model from the 2.6 kernel (NPTL) is part of the 3.0 release
  • BlueCurve, the UI from RedHat 9.0 is now part of AS 3.0
  • Increased kernel & user address space for X86 systems. Each process can now use 4.0 GB of RAM instead of 2.3 GB.
  • The new release of Sun JVM 1.4.2 is also NPTL aware making Linux processes look like they did in Solaris -1 PID for 1 process.
  • 3.0 is 64-bit clean making upgrades to 64-bit architecture easy
  • Major improvements in the NFS stack. Fixed all cross compatibility issues, especially with NetApp.
  • UDP is still the transport protocol for NFS, but TCP supported. 3.0 almost shipped with TCP as the standard transport.
  • Improvements in Logical Volume Mgmt.
  • Includes GCC 3.2 and debugging/profiling tools
  • Ext3 is the default file system. They will support many other including OCFS (Oracle Cluster File System)
  • SAMBA3 is included and it will integrate with Active Directory in native mode (Windows 2000)
  • 3 flavors of RedHat Enterprise Linux

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS

• Only OS with 24x7 support
      • No CPU or memory limit
      • Includes all services including Mail, file/print, web, dns, dhcp, ldap, etc.

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES

• 2 CPU or lower
      • 8 GB memory limit

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS

• Meant as a client desktop for AS or ES
      • 2 CPU or lower + no memory restrictions

• Clustering built-in with RedHat Cluster Manager. Supports active-active mode and can now support 8-16 nodes in a cluster instead of 2 in 2.1
  • Oracle is the #1 partner of RedHat.
  • EMC, NetAppliance, AMD, IBM, DELL and Sun are other partners.

With Novell acquiring Suse, the Enterprise Linux space just got a lot more interesting.

Read: RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0

Topic: Mobile Multimedia Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Hacker Logo

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use