The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
MozMail: Putting some money into email evolution

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
dion

Nickname: dion

Dion Almaer is the Editor-in-Chief for TheServerSide.com, and is an enterprise Java evangelist
MozMail: Putting some money into email evolution Posted: Sep 19, 2007 12:52 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by dion.
Original Post: MozMail: Putting some money into email evolution
Feed Title: techno.blog(Dion)
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dion
Feed Description: blogging about life the universe and everything tech
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by dion
Latest Posts From techno.blog(Dion)

Advertisement

Is it me, or does email feel like it hasn't evolved in quite some time, bar Gmail.

I was interested to see that David Ascher is joining a new Moz Corp sister:

So, what exactly is the job? It’s simply this: Mozilla has decided that the best way to make email and internet communications better is to create a new organization with that (admittedly broad) space as its focus, starting with Thunderbird as the starting product and some seed funding. And they’ve asked me to lead that organization. As our son said when he heard the news “Isn’t it an honor to be asked by Mozilla to do this?” Indeed it is. I’m exceedingly flattered.

This new organization (unnamed as of yet, code-named MailCo) will be a sister company to Mozilla Corporation, and a subsidiary of the Mozilla Foundation as well. While it will legally be a for-profit company, its purpose will be to serve the public benefit. This means that while part of my job is to figure out a long-term sustainability plan for the company, it’s more important for me to make email better than to generate significant profits. If profits happen, that’s fine, but generating profits at the expense of the public benefit is not. It will be fascinating to figure out what that means in practice.

I hope that David is bold enough to through out as much of Thunderbird as is necessary, and experiments with new ways.

If I had my way, I would be building The River as an uber email ;)

Read: MozMail: Putting some money into email evolution

Topic: Kodachrome Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: links for 2007-09-10 from PeopleOverProcess.com

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use