The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
An Interesting Experiment: Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
An Interesting Experiment: Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis Posted: Sep 10, 2007 7:04 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: An Interesting Experiment: Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

I have heard of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis in the context of programming languages, usually in the form "Visual Basic will rot your brain" or "Java programmers will never 'get' the beauty of Ruby".

However, I was exposed to a series of social psychological experiments that seem to affirm the hypothesis in the 2003 book The Geography of Thought: How Asians and Westerners Think Differently...and Why by Richard E. Nisbett, a psychology professor at University of Michigan.

The most interesting experiment is the following:

Richard E. Nisbett: We presented participants with sets of three words (e.g., panda, monkey, banana) and ask them to indicate which two of the three were most closely related.

The surprising findings of the experiment (to me, at the lest) is that the answers to the question are dependent on the language the question is being asked in. When I tried a similar question on myself, I did give different answers:

Q: Which two of the three words: panda, monkey, banana are most closely related?
A: panda and monkey.

:以下三个词中哪两个关系最近:大熊猫,猴子,香蕉?
:猴子和香蕉。

Both answers, though different, feels pretty natural to me.

How about you? If your first language is not English, would you answer the question differently if the question is translated into your first language?

Read: An Interesting Experiment: Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis

Topic: Comprehensive AWK Manual & AWK Example Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Leaffooted Bugs

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use