The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Facebook Developer Garage in Palo Alto

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
dion

Nickname: dion

Dion Almaer is the Editor-in-Chief for TheServerSide.com, and is an enterprise Java evangelist
Facebook Developer Garage in Palo Alto Posted: Aug 26, 2007 3:32 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by dion.
Original Post: Facebook Developer Garage in Palo Alto
Feed Title: techno.blog(Dion)
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dion
Feed Description: blogging about life the universe and everything tech
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by dion
Latest Posts From techno.blog(Dion)

Advertisement

The day started like many Palo Alto Saturdays. First, I met John and his lovely family at the farmers market and we took the kids over to the crepe place. In line we ran into Brian McCallister of Ning with his baby. I didn't get to ask him if he got to go to the playboy mansions now that PlayboyU is running on the Ning platform :)

Later on, I got to walk over to one of the Facebook offices in downtown to participate in the Facebook Developer Garage. There was a great crowd gathered (no surprise) and their was definite energy about the place. The kind of energy that says "man, I think I can make some money having a lot of fun" ;)

The event was pretty casual, and started with "Platform" Dave giving his view of the world. Since no-one had a camera at the time, and mine was in my backpack, I pulled it out and filmed the talk. I had to split it into three parts (first show below: 1, 2, 3) for YouTube.

Then it was time for the Slide folks to give their piece, and I filmed that (two parts).

The real fun started with the lightning talks that came next. They were given by the developers of major applications such as iLike, SuperWall (RockMe network), BoozeMail, Causes, Box, and more. Unfortunately I had run out of battery at this point, but luckily someone else had a camera at this point.

Some of the gems were:

• Box giving their presentation via their application, with Michael Jackson's Thriller playing
  • Boxes pie chart slide with the segmentation of: "High School, College, Old People"
  • iLike on Ticketmaster: "They used to be evil, but now their 30 year contracts are coming up for renewal so they have to add value"
  • Joyce Park talking about her EC2 usage.
  • Two guys who looked like real jocks: "Quit your job and write some apps. You can then wake up at 2pm every day". I wish I had this footage as these guys were classic.

A really fun event. Thanks to Facebook for putting it on.

Read: Facebook Developer Garage in Palo Alto

Topic: Web 2.0 Immersion Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Links for 2007-08-17 [del.icio.us]

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use