The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Is it ever too early to optimize?

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Nov 11, 2003 2:27 PM by Merriodoc Brandybuck

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
James Gosling

Nickname: jgosling

James Gosling is an engineer at Sun Microsystems
Is it ever too early to optimize? Posted: Nov 11, 2003 1:36 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by James Gosling.
Original Post: Is it ever too early to optimize?
Feed Title: James Gosling: on the Java road...
Feed URL: /jag/feed/entries/rss?cat=%2FJava
Feed Description: I've been inescapably tagged as "the Java guy", despite the fact that I havn't worked in the Java product organization for a couple of years (I do still kibbitz). These days I work at Sun's research lab about two thirds of the time, and do customer visits and talks the other third. For more detail...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by James Gosling
Latest Posts From James Gosling: on the Java road...

Advertisement
One of the general principles that is commonly followed is avoiding premature optimization. In general, I agree with this, although I find it personally difficult: I learned to progam on a machine with only 4K of RAM. These days, with RAM at $200/Gigabyte and multi-GHz machines, we have the luxury...

Read: Is it ever too early to optimize?

Merriodoc Brandybuck

Nickname: brandybuck

Re: Is it ever too early to optimize? Posted: Nov 11, 2003 2:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply
To me there is a huge difference between premature optimization and writing sloppy code. People seem to use the 'don't prematurely optimize' mantra as an excuse to write crap software. There is some middle ground that people should strive for but don't. This conversation with Scott Meyers says it best, I think http://www.artima.com/intv/const3.html. I think a big part of that is the advances in hardware as you say. If you have gigs of disk space and a gig or more of memory and you have to get something working, then you do what you can to get what the customer wants in the shortest amount of time and that, unfortunately, is where most applications I've seen appear to stop. Even if the developers planned to go back and optimize, they don't. There's always that next project that has to be done. No time to go back and work on code that isn't broken. That's crazy, right?

I also think a big part of this trend is the adoption of agile methods, as well. I think a lot of their tenets have been misread and poorly adopted, kind of like Bruce Lee's 'Using No Way as Way, Having No Limitation as Limitation.' The uninformed look at this and say 'hey, I can do what I want and that's a valid way' without taking into account the context of the saying and the kind of person Bruce was and the kind of life he led and the amount of work he had to do to become the man he was.

It's like the frequently quoted musician's adage that you shouldn't break the rules until you know what they all are. I have yet to work on a project that was well planned and designed that has been a problem. All of these projects have gone well. They may have been a bit late, or not had all the features users wanted, but they were solid pieces of software and adding things in later was never an issue because they were designed that way. I can't say the same of projects that used more 'agile' methods. Most of them had no planning, poor design, one team didn't know what another was doing so the interaction of various pieces was unpredictable, etc.

From what I've seen most people aren't good enough programmers to use agile methods because they lack the discipline to do it correctly. I think I can include myself in that group. They don't care about talking to customers, so they don't. The parts of the agile manifesto about striving for technical elegance, excellence and good design seem to take a back seat to getting something 'working' out the door, when they should at least have equal footing. Most of the developers I work with don't want to ever talk to a customer, so I don't figure how they think Agile methods will ever work for them. We don't get customer feedback, anyway. We're a commercial software company. We would spend all of our time talking to customers and doing nothing else with the amount of customers we have. Most people I know AREN'T SELF ORGANIZING, so there goes the best source of architectures, requirements and designs. Most programmers I know won't bother tuning and adjusting their behavior to become more effective because they think they're good enough.

Heck, if I want to take agile methods to an extreme, for every new project I'm going to open up my Python interpreter, type 'print "New Project Version .01" and call it a day. That's the simplest thing that works, right? I just put in a full day! Woohoo! Working prototype! Never mind that the final project won't be in Python, it has a tremendously complex GUI and uses a combination of database calls and web services. That's fluff I can address later. Besides, the requirements are going to change anyway (I love this, because it lets people get out of writing requirements in the first place and this has been the cause of problems beyond counting), so why bother writing them?

Lately this has become a particular sore spot for me because

A) I seem to spend a lot of time cleaning up other people's messes because they write inherently inefficient code that worked fine in our tests, but once it gets into a real world BIG implementation, it runs like a three legged dog. Actually, I should probably take that back because it is terribly insulting to three legged dogs.

B) Our current management seems to think that getting the thing out there as quick as possible, no matter how it is designed and written is fine. That is, until we get hammered with bugs and then we're spending inordinate amounts of time fixing bugs and we get lambasted and reprimaned for releaseing such a buggy product. And then all the "I told you so's" in the world don't make a difference. No matter how many times you try to warn these people about the inherent problems, they don't seem to care until it's too late. If they let us do our jobs in the first place and design the software the way it should be designed, it might take longer but the savings in the long run would be huge. Alas, that takes forethought, which I'll address, well, now.

At the end of this log you say "It's all a matter of balance and forethought." From what I've seen, there is a severe lack of both in the world. Especially forethought. I've seen little evidence of thinking, period, lately. It's a constant point of tension between me and the people I work for.

Like I said, this is a real sore spot for me. I could probably go on for days about this, but I have to get home and get me some dinner.

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: .NET to become WinFX Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Panther is fast

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use