The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Flash Player 9 for 64-Bit Debian 4.0: Here's The Link

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Flash Player 9 for 64-Bit Debian 4.0: Here's The Link Posted: Jul 26, 2007 4:58 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Flash Player 9 for 64-Bit Debian 4.0: Here's The Link
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

It took 37 days since I installed 64-bit Debian 4.0 on my amd64 machine, but I've finally gotten Flash Player 9 to work in my browser.

There are several reasons for the 37 days delay. The biggest reason is that the procedure I followed, which is the "I'm Feeling Lucky" page for the Google search for "nspluginwrapper etch", is not the obvious search target for anyone who want to get YouTube going on an amd64 Debian 4.0 installation.

Most of my time is spent on the transition from searching for "Flash 9 Debian 4.0 amd64" to searching for "nspluginwrapper etch". It went something like this:

• I want Flash
  • But Flash doesn't work for 64-bit browsers
  • I can install a 32-bit browser, but that's going to be painful
  • Wait a minute, there is this thing called nspluginwrapper that will allow me to use the 32-bit Flash player with 64-bit browsers
  • But feta search nspluginwrapper turned up nothing
  • I'm going to build nspluginwrapper myself
  • The ./configure script complains about GLIB 2.0 not being available. Surely it's available, how else could I have run a GNOME desktop?
  • Oh, I need 32-bit GLIB 2.0. How do I get it?
  • It should be in ia32-libs-gtk. But I can't find it. I can find ia32-libs, but not ia32-libs-gtk
  • I hope I don't have to rebuild the 32-bit Gtk+.
  • Someone must have done it. Let me search for "ia32-libs-gtk etch" (I know Debian people likes to use names like Sarge or Etch or Sid to describe the OS version)
  • Bingo! There it is—ia32-libs-gtk and nspluginwrapper. All packaged up for Debian 4.0 amd64, ready to be installed.

The whole point of this post is to show you the detours I've taken to get a functioning Flash Player 9 on Debian 4.0 (Etch) amd64 so that you can go directly to the destination.

Link to this blog, or better yet, link to http://www.dipconsultants.com/debian/, if you find it useful.

And Oh, Thank you, Markybob.

Read: Flash Player 9 for 64-Bit Debian 4.0: Here's The Link

Topic: Java Runtime.Exec() Guide Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Pretty Pursuasion

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use