The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
The Next MacBook

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Nickname: elharo

Elliotte Rusty Harold is an author, developer, and general kibitzer.
The Next MacBook Posted: Jul 23, 2007 6:45 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Elliotte Rusty Harold.
Original Post: The Next MacBook
Feed Title: The Cafes
Feed URL: http://cafe.elharo.com/feed/atom/?
Feed Description: Longer than a blog; shorter than a book
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Elliotte Rusty Harold
Latest Posts From The Cafes

Advertisement

I now know what the specs for the next, ultra-portable MacBook are going to be. Look for:

• 32GB solid state drive
  • Intel Core 2 Duo Ultra Low Voltage chip running at 1.2GHz
  • 1-2 GB RAM
  • 802.11a, b and g wireless; built-in Ethernet
  • Carbon fiber case
  • 276 x 199 x 29mm
  • 1.15 kg
  • 11.1 inch screen 1,366 x 768 pixels
  • Integrated webcam
  • Integrated Dual-layer DVD writer
  • USB 2 and Firewire
  • 6 hour battery life
  • Price (the number I’m least certain of) $2995

No, I don’t have any inside information. These are actually the specs for the new Sony Vaio VGN-TZ12VN (except for the price). Sony’s the only manufacturer that really competes with Apple in the “cool laptop” space; and Apple is not going to let them win.

I was most impressed with the internal DVD drive. I had expected a form factor this small and light would require an external drive, but apparently it is now possible to squeeze an optical drive, and a writer at that!

The limited 32GB “hard drive” is disappointing. My MP3 collection alone is over 60GB. If only there were some decent sync software for the Mac, maybe I could put together a subset of my files that I actually need to take with me. However, until someone invents that, I was hoping to be able to just blast my 250GB desktop onto my laptop before I leave for the airport. This size means I’ll have to be even more parsimonious than I am now with my old 55GB TiBook. I suppose just possibly Apple might go up to 64GB of solid state memory, perhaps as a configurable (read extra-cost) option, but there’s no way they’re going to the 250GB I want.

The price is the real kicker, and the number that could change a lot between Sony and Apple. Apple is extremely competitive these days when you compare apples to, well, apples. They could easily come in a $1000 or more under Sony’s price (not that this will keep the PC-hordes from complaining that it still costs a $1000 more than a nine-pound plastic monster from Dell).

Nonetheless, I’m expecting a very interesting machine, and I look forward to owning one. (And if I’m wrong and Apple doesn’t come out with a Vaio-killer by MacWorld? Then there’s always Sony.)

Read: The Next MacBook

Topic: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Day Software has posted the public review draft of JSR-283 Content Repository for Java...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use