The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Managing packages for OS X

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Chris Winters

Nickname: cwinters

Daytime: Java hacker; nighttime: Perl hacker; sleeptime: some of both.
Managing packages for OS X Posted: Nov 10, 2003 12:31 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Chris Winters.
Original Post: Managing packages for OS X
Feed Title: cwinters.com
Feed URL: http://www.cwinters.com/search/registrar.php?domain=jroller.com®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Chris Winters on Java, programming and technology, usually in that order.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Chris Winters
Latest Posts From cwinters.com

Advertisement
My impression is that most people seem to use Fink to keep their non-core open-source software up-to-date. It's inspired by Debian's packaging system, which I've never used so I have neither love nor hate for it. Lots of people who hate RPMs like Debian's packaging system, but even though I dislike RPMs that's not a good reason to choose it. (Applicability of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", and all that...)

But there's also DarwinPorts which is supposedly like the BSD ports system. My server and current desktop both use Gentoo which has its own ports-like system called Portage. I like Portage a lot, and I like the fact that you compile packages as you go. The only (very minor) problem I've had with Portage was when I was for some reason using unstable x86 packages.

So I'm wondering which is the better system to use. Or maybe it's just a matter of playing around with both and seeing what works? I'm already going to have to learn a lot with OSX and it would be nice to have something stable underfoot.

Read: Managing packages for OS X

Topic: GUI to Test XPath's Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: New Toy

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use