The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Bea Kodo, OpenJPA or what?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Marc Logemann

Nickname: loge

Marc Logemann is founder of www.logentis.de a Java consultancy
Bea Kodo, OpenJPA or what? Posted: Jun 20, 2007 3:20 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Marc Logemann.
Original Post: Bea Kodo, OpenJPA or what?
Feed Title: Logemann Blog
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LogemannBlog
Feed Description: Marc Logemann's thoughts on java and other stuff
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Marc Logemann
Latest Posts From Logemann Blog

Advertisement

Again i am in a situation where i need to do something but there is more than one alternative. Currently i am using Kodo Standard edition v3.4 (yes, i am one of these old Solarmetric customers) to do persistence. Everything works as expected and there are nearly no problems (except from a bug with custom field mappings and horizontal inheritance strategy mapping) but now i need custom lock groups because i definitely need more fine grained control on what triggers an OptimisticLockingException.

As i have found out, the standard edition cant do it because its just way too standard. In 3.4 days the next level was named Performance Pack which is able to do this, in the new Kodo 4.x world, this is simply called “Kodo Professional Edition”. So i could chose to buy the performance pack, or buy the Prof. edition but then i need to upgrade to 4.x and the last time i tried upgrading to 4.x, many nights were wasted and plenty of problems arised.

But then there is also OpenJPA, this is for free and also supports Lock Groups. Of course it doesnt support JDO, so i would have to redo all my mappings in JPA style and i would also need some luck that i dont use something in JDO which JPA cant (auto-detachment perhaps?).
Of course i could also trash all my custom field mappings and custom JDOQL functions. All in all, it wouldnt pay of, i would save on license costs but would have so much work that the license would be a no-brainer compared to that.

Perhaps i will simply ask for a Kodo 4.1 Professional update license, if there is something and hope that i get the 3.4 performance pack for free because its essentially the same only with an older version. This way i could wait with the upgrade to 4.x

Read: Bea Kodo, OpenJPA or what?

Topic: Dark Days at Yahoo Mean? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How To Get Free Copy of Translator Plugin Pro?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use