The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
#378 Yellow-billed Cuckoo at Ridgewood Reservoir

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Elliotte Rusty Harold

Nickname: elharo

Elliotte Rusty Harold is an author, developer, and general kibitzer.
#378 Yellow-billed Cuckoo at Ridgewood Reservoir Posted: May 19, 2007 4:13 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Elliotte Rusty Harold.
Original Post: #378 Yellow-billed Cuckoo at Ridgewood Reservoir
Feed Title: Mokka mit Schlag
Feed URL: http://www.elharo.com/blog/feed/atom/?
Feed Description: Ranting and Raving
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Elliotte Rusty Harold
Latest Posts From Mokka mit Schlag

Advertisement

The Yellow-billed Cuckoo has been my nemesis bird for a while now. Although it breeds in New York City, and although it is regularly reported in city parks, I have never had an unambiguous look at one. That chyanged this morning. I had joined Steve and Heidi Nanz, Rob Jett, Janet Schumacher, Suzanne Ortiz, and several others for a continuing breeding bird census at Ridgewood Reservoir. This was the third of a planned six visits to the site this season.
We parked the cars across Vermont Place from the reservoir. A pair of male Baltimore Orioles were obvious in a nearby tree. However the census doesn’t start till we cross the street. No sooner had we done so, than Rob called out “Yellow-billed Cuckoo!” It was high up in the trees, and moving; but it didn’t fly too far away; and eventually I was able to get a clear look at it. I

I’m afraid this is the best picture of the bird I got, and you really can’t identify it from this:

Yellow-billed Cuckoo in tree

It did not pose for photographs, I’m afraid. I have several other photos of the branch it just left, but it was clearly ID’able through binoculars. It was obviously a cuckoo, had a prominent slightly curved yellow bill, and large white spots on the underside of the tail. The Black-billed Cuckoo, the only other cuckoo in the area, has a black bill and small white spots on the underside of the tail.

We spent another four+ hours at the site after that, counting birds and looking for evidence of breeding. We found Baltimore Orioles building nests, and some American Robin nests. However, we also saw a lot of warblers that are likely just passing through. (They’re really only two or three species of warbler that breed in New York City: Yellow, Common Yellowthroat, and perhaps American Redstart.)

This isn’t a complete list, but other birds we counted today included:

• Mallard
  • Sharp-shinned Hawk
  • Mourning Dove
  • Red-bellied Woodpecker
  • Eastern Wood-Pewee
  • Willow Flycatcher
  • Eastern Kingbird
  • Warbling Vireo
  • Red-eyed Vireo
  • Tree Swallow
  • Barn Swallow
  • House Wren
  • Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
  • American Robin
  • Gray Catbird
  • European Starling
  • Nashville Warbler
  • Northern Parula
  • Yellow Warbler
  • Magnolia Warbler
  • Black-throated Blue Warbler
  • Bay-breasted Warbler
  • Blackpoll Warbler
  • Black-and-white Warbler
  • American Redstart
  • Common Yellowthroat
  • Canada Warbler
  • Song Sparrow
  • Swamp Sparrow
  • Northern Cardinal
  • Red-winged Blackbird
  • Common Grackle
  • Brown-headed Cowbird
  • Baltimore Oriole
  • House Finch
  • American Goldfinch
  • House Sparrow

Here’s the Bay-breasted Warbler, which was somewhat more cooperative than the cuckoo:

Bay-breasted Warbler

We’ll be back in a couple of weeks to see who’s still around.

Read: #378 Yellow-billed Cuckoo at Ridgewood Reservoir

Topic: Servers Mashup of DeveloperMashUp updated Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: I'm a Ruby on Rails

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use