The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
A Continuation of another

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Tim Vernum

Nickname: tpv

Tim Vernum is passionate about designing secure systems
A Continuation of another Posted: Apr 28, 2007 9:39 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Tim Vernum.
Original Post: A Continuation of another
Feed Title: A word used to describe something
Feed URL: http://blog.adjective.org/feed/category/Development/rss2
Feed Description: Tim's random musings on software development, java, jetty and other such frivolities.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Tim Vernum
Latest Posts From A word used to describe something

Advertisement

Greg has blogged about the ThrottlingFilter I wrote for Jetty. He's covered the situation quite well.

I wrote the filter (with Greg's input) based a situation that was quite similar to what he describes. There are a few other ways you can approach it though.

I've not tried it, but I believe it would be feasible to push the same logic down into the connection pool (or any other pooled resource).

Many pooling implementations (e.g. commons-pool/commons-dbcp) offer configurable behaviour when the pool is full - a common behaviour is to block as Greg describes in his blog entry. What could be useful is to be able to do lost cost waiting - i.e. continuations from within the pool.

The filter is nice in that it stops the unwanted request at the beginning of the chain, before any processing time has been wasted on it, and when the impact of retrying is quite low. The cost to that is that you need to be able to split your application by URL. The filter needs to be able to tell whether to throttle any given request.

Putting that logic into the datasource would mean that some processing would have already been performed before the request is suspended, and you would have to be confident that the application is safe to retry. However it has the advantage of being very precise - requests are only suspended when they attempt to access an exhausted pool.

I'm sure there are a lot of other possible ways to make use of continuations. The use of continuations in the ThrottlingFilter was a suggestion by Greg - I had originally intended to simply reject requests that exceeded the maximum size until he reminded me how useful continutations would be in that context. I'm sure that with a bit of imagination many other uses could also be found.

Read: A Continuation of another

Topic: Coda: One Pretty Window Web Development Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Next Monday, April 30, I will be joining the NYC Java Study Groups, to talk about Java 7 and Beyond.

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use