The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Spring Cleaning delivers a needed tutorial for OS X users.

1 reply on 1 page. Most recent reply: Apr 13, 2007 1:20 AM by Patrick Kass

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Mike Shoemaker

Nickname: mikeshoe

Mike Shoemaker is senior Java developer using Ruby
Spring Cleaning delivers a needed tutorial for OS X users. Posted: Apr 8, 2007 3:40 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Mike Shoemaker.
Original Post: Spring Cleaning delivers a needed tutorial for OS X users.
Feed Title: Unruly Rambling (java category)
Feed URL: http://www.shoesobjects.com/blog/feed.xml?flavor=rss20&category=java
Feed Description: My thoughts on software, technology, and life in general
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Mike Shoemaker
Latest Posts From Unruly Rambling (java category)

Advertisement
A month or so ago, I got the keen idea that I wanted to replace a 19" boat anchor of a monitor with something flat panel to gain some desk space.  This altruistic goal was accomplished after a 20" Samsung wide screen display showed up on my doorstep for less than $200.  I was happy since I reclaimed a nice big corner of my desk.  Even though I accomplished my original goal, the printer sitting on the end of the desk irked me too.  Unlike the monitor, I'm not able to replace my printer with a smaller model.  At least not one that would be significantly smaller.  The best I could do was find a better location where it wasn't taking up a square foot of desktop space.  My decision was to put it in the desk where two linux boxes resided.  One of the linux boxes runs this site, a personal wiki, and cvs repository.  The other sits mostly idle as a large backup file server.  In order to maintain my current setup, I would need a new smaller computer to do these lightweight tasks.  Mac Mini to the rescue!  I picked up a refurbished Mac Mini from Apple for less than $500.  It's a duo core 1.5ghz which is probably 8 times faster than the linux box it replaced.  The good news is that it is also 10 times smaller and looks fantastic sitting out in the open.  In addition to relocating the printer in the tower compartment, I also moved the spare paper, DSL modem,  and various other office items.  My desk looks fantastic now.  Don't quit reading yet, there is a point to this entry and it has nothing to do with the neatness of my desk. 

Instead of installing CVS on the new Mac Mini, I decided that I would migrate to subversion.  This was not as easy of a task as I thought it would be.  As I sought to find a decent tutorial online, I came up short time and time again.  I never did end up finding anything that I could follow step by step and get to where I had a subversion repository front ended by Apache, using Apache authentication running on OS X.  Instead I used bits and pieces of  content from a half dozen sites to get everything to work.  For those of you that are in search of something similar or have run into this same brick wall, the following tutorial is for you.  I did my best to document every step along the way.  If you run into something that is ambiguous or needs updating, please let me know.  I intend to keep this up to date. 

HOWTO: Installing Subversion(1.4.3) and Apache(2.0.59) on OS X(10.4.9)

Read: Spring Cleaning delivers a needed tutorial for OS X users.

Patrick Kass

Nickname: lj764

Re: Spring Cleaning delivers a needed tutorial for OS X users. Posted: Apr 13, 2007 1:20 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Mike,

your effort is highly appreciated. Unfortunately, the link to your HowTo is broken. Please verify.

kind regards,

Patrick

Flat View: This topic has 1 reply on 1 page
Topic: AJAX may cause the concept of page views to be replaced Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: [Apr 9, 2007 07:43 PDT] 1 Links

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use