The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Offline Consulting: The next EJB gold mine

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
dion

Nickname: dion

Dion Almaer is the Editor-in-Chief for TheServerSide.com, and is an enterprise Java evangelist
Offline Consulting: The next EJB gold mine Posted: Apr 2, 2007 5:08 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by dion.
Original Post: Offline Consulting: The next EJB gold mine
Feed Title: techno.blog(Dion)
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dion
Feed Description: blogging about life the universe and everything tech
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by dion
Latest Posts From techno.blog(Dion)

Advertisement

EJB was great for consultants. Complicated software is always good for consultants. Companies need to pay you to explain the darn thing.

Just look at how good COM was for Don Box :)

I think one of the next beasts like this will be offline web applications. With Apollo, Slingshot, Dojo, and the other offline toolkits coming out we are going to see a lot of people saying "I want that", and "make this work offline".

The web is a world of connectivity. We have been building applications that take that assumption for granted. Now, with offline, we are changing the paradigm.

Beware the seemless example

Remember the talk of EJB where you can just call a method on a stub and it could be local or remote. Who knows! It was this ignorance that enabled a slew of applications that ran dog slow as they talked across network boundaries and serialized data back and forth all day.

Writing offline capable web applications is going to be hard to do right. We are going to have to take a step back and rethink how our applications are going to work with a new dimension added to the mix.

If you want to make a lot of money consulting, get good at building offline web apps and rake it in :)

Read: Offline Consulting: The next EJB gold mine

Topic: Nokia Forum Wiki Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Java grid computing

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use