The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Software Update: I Don't Want To Restart Now!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Software Update: I Don't Want To Restart Now! Posted: Mar 2, 2007 5:48 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Software Update: I Don't Want To Restart Now!
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

Both Firefox and Thunderbird have instituted automatic software update features whereby the browser and email reader periodically check their home sites to download any updates. This is a good thing, in my opinion.

However, both programs has also gotten into the habit of popping up a message box, the moment the download is complete, asking "Hey, new updates are here. You need to restart?" And I can choose either "Now" or "Later."

This is annoying. Just think about it: I've been using the old version of your product for months, and things are just fine. And I start and quit Firefox and Thunderbird all the time, at least several times a day. (With Firefox routinely taking up 200M of memory, and not to mention the AJaX induced CPU load, nowadays, I have to close it down from time to time.) Can the newly downloaded stuff wait quietly for just a few more hours for one of my restarts?

And what if I accidentally clicked on the "Now" button? I'd loose my "place"—all the tabs I have opened, and the form I'm in the middle of filling out will be gone. That'll make me very angry. Enough to write a blog entry bashing your feature.

Read: Software Update: I Don't Want To Restart Now!

Topic: links for 2007-02-27 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: January 2007 New Java Performance Tips

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use