The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Backups and Meatworld from PeopleOverProcess.com

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Michael Cote

Nickname: bushwald

Cote is a programmer in Austin, Texas.
Backups and Meatworld from PeopleOverProcess.com Posted: Feb 27, 2007 5:47 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Michael Cote.
Original Post: Backups and Meatworld from PeopleOverProcess.com
Feed Title: Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.
Feed URL: https://cote.io/feed/
Feed Description: Using Java to get to the ideal state.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Michael Cote
Latest Posts From Cote's Weblog: Coding, Austin, etc.

Advertisement

During the lunch break here at Adobe Engage, I was talking with Jeff Barr about S3 and my slowness to finally get my backup plan in action.

I’ve done endless legwork to figure out what and which remote backup service I need. Implicit there is that I want remote backup. My fear is theft of my laptop — in which case the burglars will probably steal my external hard-drives — or the house burning down — in which case the external hard drives will melt along with the laptop.

With remote backups come the costs of bandwidth and storage. Until Amazon S3, those prices were too high for me. Now, they’re fine. Managing the experience is a difficult thing to sort out to: I need a configure and forget.

The end result is that I fully intend to use JungleDisk as the front-end and scheduler for backing up to S3. The problem is that initial import. I want to backup my music (I cringe at the thought of re-ripping all my CDs, if I still have them and, uh…”acquiring” all those other songs that I can’t seem to find the CDs for), which is a huge chunk. It will take a long, long time to do that initial backup. I don’t know if I can do without the portability of my laptop that long.

So, what I’d like to do is burn a CD and drop it off at, say, the Geek Squad desk Best Buy, and have them put in the time and hassle to do that initial setup. Then, once it’s all up there (all the music!), I can just synch the little changes ongoing.

I’ll even pat upwards for $50 for that service, and probably buy some CDs while I’m there.

(Jeff, by the ways, wins the Looks Most Like His Picture in Person Award.)

Disclaimer: Amazon’s A9 is a client.

Technorati Tags: , ,

Read: Backups and Meatworld from PeopleOverProcess.com

Topic: Code-checking tools, and the pain of updating them. Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Difference between HttpServletResponse.encodeURL and encodeRedirectURL

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use