The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
The next plug and play: Enable/Disable of add-ons

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
dion

Nickname: dion

Dion Almaer is the Editor-in-Chief for TheServerSide.com, and is an enterprise Java evangelist
The next plug and play: Enable/Disable of add-ons Posted: Feb 22, 2007 9:58 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by dion.
Original Post: The next plug and play: Enable/Disable of add-ons
Feed Title: techno.blog(Dion)
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dion
Feed Description: blogging about life the universe and everything tech
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by dion
Latest Posts From techno.blog(Dion)

Advertisement

Firefox sometimes gets a wrap of being a memory hog. It isn't perfect, but I normally find that the issue is to do with a add-on or three that I have installed.

If I start to complain about Firefox, I try to disable all plugins for awhile to make sure that I am not moaning about the wrong person.

I have been pushing the poor browser a long way recently. I don't think that current browsers were quite designed for 4 windows of 20 tabs each containing rich applications such as Gmail, Pipes, and Picnik all going at once.

I found that over time my memory was slowly getting used, and Firefox would slow down to a crawl.

Firebug seemed to be one of the culprits in my case. When I had it disabled the memory footprint went down and has been stable.

Obviously, I can't live without Firebug. There are a lot of add-ons that I do not need on all the time, but that I want available.

Ideally, I would be able to dynamically load and unload add-ons. It would even be nice to customize windows so window one is "pure simple browsing" and has nothing on. Window two is dev window and has everything tricked out.

As we push more and more into the browser, it will become more of a container that I need to plug items in and out of on demand.

Read: The next plug and play: Enable/Disable of add-ons

Topic: Just call me Keanu Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Clown Hobo, or Hobo Clown? from DrunkAndRetired.com

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use