The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Notes on refactoring in Whidbey

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Vasanth Dharmaraj

Nickname: vazz

Vasanth Dharmaraj is J2EE developer learning Dot Net
Notes on refactoring in Whidbey Posted: Oct 30, 2003 2:21 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Vasanth Dharmaraj.
Original Post: Notes on refactoring in Whidbey
Feed Title: Vasanth Dharmaraj's Blogs
Feed URL: /SyndicationService.asmx/GetRssCategory?categoryName=Technology%7CJava
Feed Description: my thoughts on dot net, java, linux, formula one, xbox gamming...(my java category)
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Vasanth Dharmaraj
Latest Posts From Vasanth Dharmaraj's Blogs

Advertisement

Refactoring is something I use daily for my development work using eclipse IDE. This is one thing which is sorely missing from the current Visual Studio.Net release. But news from PDC is that Whidbey is going to remedy all this. Here are the refactoring features already available in the PDC bits.

• Rename of symbols: Say you change a variable name, the change is automatically reflected through the entire project. This can be done for methods, class...
  • Change signature: The following changes are possible reorder parameters, remove parameters, add parameters, rename parameters or change parameter type.
  • Extract method: You can select a piece of code and convert it to a method. Call to the method is placed instead of the code.
  • Extract interface: You can create a new interface by selecting methods and properties. The class will be changed to implement the interface.
  • Encapsulate field: Any field can be converted into a property. There is an option to refactor both internal and external references or just external ones.

Eclipse (and Idea) users will notice that quite a few features are missing here. But it should be noted that the software in not even in beta stage and wont go RTM for almost another year. Here is the promise from Scott Wiltamuth -- "Our team is working hard to deliver a great user experience for this. Supporting common refactorings is a big part of this, but it's not the only thing. We also are focused on delivering a *great* user experience for refactoring, including making many refactorings work in situations where the source code is not in a compilable state."

Source: [Blog: Serge van den Oever]

Read: Notes on refactoring in Whidbey

Topic: J2ME for BREW Phones Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Scalability is in the architecture

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use