The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Groovy In Action: I Picked It Up, I Can't Put It Down!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Groovy In Action: I Picked It Up, I Can't Put It Down! Posted: Feb 6, 2007 11:15 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Groovy In Action: I Picked It Up, I Can't Put It Down!
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

Tim Bray: In the mail from O���Reilly this week, Groovy in Action [...]

[...] and of course, watching Groovy at work. I have to say the source code is real easy to read; oddly, what it makes me wish for is regex literals in Java. Hmm, it���s not obvious to the casual eye when you declare variables and when you don���t; I���m sympathetic to the optional-declaration idea though. I guess I���ll have to have a look at the book; it was cracking the Pickaxe book���s covers that dropped me onto the slippery Ruby slope.

Hmmm, Groovy In Action is a Manning title, I wonder what O'Reilly is doing sending it out to people. I guess that "Manning Is The New O'Reilly" memo hasn't reached everybody yet.

I received my copy of Groovy In Action 8 days ago. No, it was not O'Reilly who sent it. It was Amazon.com. And it's not a free copy either. I pre-paid for it, months ago.

And I haven't put it down since I received it. Sure, Java Generics and Collections is deep and fascinating, Groovy in Action is simply magnetic. The last time I read a book through like this, the book was Hibernate In Action.

I have been an advocate for dynamic languages for the Java platform for a long time now. See for example, my Scripting Languages for Java article from 2168 days ago. (That's six years ago, folks.) While my favorite scripting languages for Java remains to be Rhino and Jython, I keep and open mind for the newer entries to the field like Groovy and JRuby.

Without passing judgement on the language itself, here's my (re)view of the book:

• The figure on the cover of the book is pretty and beautifully dressed (you can't say this for some of the other Manning titles)
  • The text is written in a conversational voice, reading it is like sitting in a classroom listening to an instructor
  • Part 1 (The Groovy Language, pp. 1–225) covers the language in a non-hurried pace, with each feature thoroughly treated, and similarities and contrasts with Java pointed out along the way
  • The authors are not shy about pointing out potential problem spots in the language (for example that switch statements may have overlapping cases so the order of the case clauses matter in Groovy, just like the order of the catch clauses matter in Java)
  • The authors are not avert to explaining in excrutiating detail how some of the more magical features work under the covers. When they are done, you say, "Well of course, that's how closures work."
  • Part 2 (Around The Groovy Library, pp. 227–449) covers builders, the GDK, database programming, integration, and working with XML
  • Part 3 (Everyday Groovy, pp. 451–605) covers tips and tricks, unit testing, Groovy on Windows, and Grails
  • Four appendices rounds out the book: Installation and documentation, language info, GDK API quick reference, and cheat sheets

All-in-all, I think Groovy in Action is among the top five Manning books. For me personally, it's also a perception changing and influential book. The $49.99US price tag is a little bit too expensive for a "scripting" language. But I bet the Manning folks and the Groovy people have better designs for the Groovy language.

I highly recommend Groovy in Action for Java developers who want to learn Groovy in a systematic way and who are starting Groovy projects.

And if I can get the attention of the Manning folks and Groovy people, for just a second, I would whisper the following into their ears: "Make this book freely available, à la The Java Lanuage Specification. Groovy deserve it!"

Read: Groovy In Action: I Picked It Up, I Can't Put It Down!

Topic: [DrunkAndRetired.com Podcast] Episode 81 - Persistence Layer Knife Fighting, We Want Java... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Next Tuesday, February 6, will be the second iteration of Extreme Tuesday New York.

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use