The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
ECPerf & SPECJAppServer

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Nick Lothian

Nickname: nicklothia

Nick Lothian is Java Developer & Team Leader
ECPerf & SPECJAppServer Posted: Oct 21, 2003 5:16 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Nick Lothian.
Original Post: ECPerf & SPECJAppServer
Feed Title: BadMagicNumber
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/Badmagicnumber
Feed Description: Java, Development and Me
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Nick Lothian
Latest Posts From BadMagicNumber

Advertisement

At Monday's AJUG-Adelaide meeting we were fortunate to have Sun's Tom Daly give us a presentation on the ECPerf & SPECJAppServer benchmarks.

It was a very good presentation - reasonably technical, but lots of interesting anecdotes, too. I'm sure if I was using Oracle on Solaris/Linux I'd have got even more out of it.

Some of the things I took out of it were:

• SPECJAppServer2003 (which may be called something different) will have a significant webservice component.
  • JDK1.4.2 is much, much faster on Linux & Solaris than JDK1.4.
  • The ability to scale J2EE by running it on more powerful hardware is important to Sun. To paraphrase Tom: The massive transactional benchmark numbers J2EE can get by running on large servers are important because J2EE CAN run on those servers (unlike .NET)
  • CMP in EJB app servers is good because server vendors have gone to extreme lengths to optimise its performance.
  • Intrigued by the potential performance benefits of JDK1.4.2, I spent some time today doing some benchmarking. In my simple client app->JBoss 3.2 test I'm finding roughly 5-10% increase in performance. This is under windows, with both the client & JBoss on the same machine, in separate VMs (512 M memory, but lots of stuff running).

I also had a better look at jvmstat, which is very nice. It does non-intrusive GC monitoring of your Java apps. You don't need to enable any java debugging options for it to work, so it doesn't slow down your app at all while you monitor it.

Read: ECPerf & SPECJAppServer

Topic: Microsoft System Management: Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: New Gig starts November 3rd

Sponsored Links

Google
      Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use