The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
How not to create an accessible website

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Andrej Koelewijn

Nickname: andrejk

Andrej Koelewijn is a Java and Oracle consultant
How not to create an accessible website Posted: Oct 6, 2003 3:11 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Andrej Koelewijn.
Original Post: How not to create an accessible website
Feed Title: Andrej Koelewijn
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/AndrejKoelewijn
Feed Description: On Oracle, Java and OpenSource
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Andrej Koelewijn
Latest Posts From Andrej Koelewijn

Advertisement
I just found the website of the city of Assen, a city in the Netherlands. It has a big image on the home page saying 'visually handicaped'. My first though was, nice, they actually considered handicaped people when designing the page. Now, i've never actually worked with a braille translater, and i also don't have to use very large fonts, but somehow using an image to help the visually handicaped doesn't seem clever to me. You can't easily increase the font size of an image, and a braille translater doesn't show the image at all. Well maybe the alt attribute of the image makes sense? You know what the alt image contains? 'Press here for a different font'... Does that make sense? Yah baby, show me a different font on my braille translater! The rest of the page also doesn't make much sense, the actual contents is burried in 8 or 9 levels of tables, and then the paragraph titles don't use H tags, but are just marked STRONG. That's not something the braille translater can use to create a table of contents with....

Read: How not to create an accessible website

Topic: Open Java Workflow Engine and Editor by Enhydra Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Web Colors from Nature:

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use