The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
The failure of JSF

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Norman Richards

Nickname: orb

Norman Richards is co-author of XDoclet in Action
The failure of JSF Posted: Jan 19, 2006 11:22 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Norman Richards.
Original Post: The failure of JSF
Feed Title: Orb [norman richards]
Feed URL: http://members.capmac.org/~orb/blog.cgi/tech/java?flav=rss
Feed Description: Monkey number 312,978,199
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Norman Richards
Latest Posts From Orb [norman richards]

Advertisement

I've used JSF for a while now, and I actually like it. However, I think this podcast shows the big failure of JSF. JSF is actually a great technology, but when an obviously talented development team can't figure out how to use a technology then there is a clear problem.

It's funny that the problem he mentions in this podcast is actually very simple to solve. But, why couldn't they figure it out? It's obvious that Sun has completely failed to give people the information they need to effectively use JSF. I know this firsthand from my struggles to learn JSF last year. The documentation is horrible and although I hate to rag on the JSF book authors, the JSF books put out so far are terrible. They do a great job of explaining the inner workings of JSF and all the details you'd need to know to write a JSF implementation or develop a framework on top of JSF. But they completely fail to make the technology accessible and show people how to do simple things like what the podcaster is complaining about.

JSF is a nice technology, and it is quite a shame that it is so hard for people to get into it and be productive. I hope that changes in the coming months - otherwise JSF will truly be a failure.

Read: The failure of JSF

Topic: Wonderment Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Preaching to the Perverted

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use