The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Windows Into The Past

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
John Topley

Nickname: johntopley

John Topley is embarking on a journey to become a J2EE master.
Windows Into The Past Posted: Sep 19, 2003 2:28 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by John Topley.
Original Post: Windows Into The Past
Feed Title: John Topley's Weblog
Feed URL: http://johntopley.com/posts.atom
Feed Description: John Topley's Weblog - some articles on Ruby on Rails development.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by John Topley
Latest Posts From John Topley's Weblog

Advertisement

I have a slightly seedy secret. That's not easy to say or admit to. The secret is this: I'm fascinated by the development and history of Microsoft Windows. There. It's out in the open, a secret no more.

I can't get enough of tales such as why OLE guru Kraig Brockschmidt was for years credited by name as the creator of the Windows Calculator accessory, or trivia like why the Taskbar is at the bottom of the screen and not the top. Or why you have to click the Start button to shut down. Or what the story is behind the word “Burgermaster” buried deep in the heart of Windows. Or how the Freecell game came about because one of the developers working on Windows NT security was burnt out. Or how the heart of Windows from Windows/386 in 1987 through to Windows Me in 2000 was based on virtual machine research done by IBM in the early 1970s. It seems that there's a story waiting to be told behind every facet or oddity of Windows.

I get the impression that Microsoft doesn't enjoy acknowledging how old Windows really is. You might be forgiven for thinking that the first version was Windows 3.0 from 1990. In many ways that's true—by all accounts it was certainly the first usable version. However, Windows was first announced twenty years ago and the first release emerged blinking into the light in 1985. Windows 2.0 (with overlapping windows!) came out in 1987. These early versions—of what must be the world's best-selling software program—ran from floppies and ran in Real Mode. This meant that like the MS-DOS operating system they depended on, they were limited to just one megabyte of memory. By contrast, Windows XP won't even get out of bed for less than 128 times that amount.

A seventeen year old calculator.
A picture of the Windows 1.01 Calculator accessory

Now information on Windows before version 3.0 is hard to come by. So imagine my deep joy when I came across a website yesterday, that not only features copious screen shots from Old Windows, but also offers for download the original accessory programs from Windows 1.0 and Windows 2.0! Obviously I had to try them out, purely in the interests of investigating just how Microsoft's backwards compatibility claims stack up, you understand. Actually, the accessories have had parts of their innards hacked so that they can run on New Windows. It's something of an arcaeological experience running seventeen year old bits of Windows under Windows XP.

In contrast to Microsoft's attitude towards their third–time lucky Windows, Borland proudly curate an online museum, where you can freely download the original TurboPascal for DOS (Delphi minus seven?) as well as other versions of that product and Borland's C++ compilers too, if you're that way disposed. But I haven't done so, because much as I love Delphi and am interested in Borland and its heritage…well, it just isn't Windows, is it?

Read: Windows Into The Past

Topic: Java One Dev Pow Wow 2003: Upcoming Web Start Talks Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The first rule of debugging

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use