The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Defending Ant

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Norman Richards

Nickname: orb

Norman Richards is co-author of XDoclet in Action
Defending Ant Posted: Sep 19, 2003 12:49 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Norman Richards.
Original Post: Defending Ant
Feed Title: Orb [norman richards]
Feed URL: http://members.capmac.org/~orb/blog.cgi/tech/java?flav=rss
Feed Description: Monkey number 312,978,199
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Norman Richards
Latest Posts From Orb [norman richards]

Advertisement

Sam pointed me to some constructive criticism of Ant. There are many similar criticisms of Ant out there, most are less rational. Being a fan of both make and Ant, I usually find myself defending one to the fans of the other.

My first defense of Ant is to say that for Java, Ant is a better build tool than make. I pointed out in a prior entry , that the reason make is horrible for Java is more because of Java than make. But regardless of who is at fault, make is the wrong tool for building Java.

Ant works really well. The XML is easy. It's easy to read and easy to write. It keeps the build accessible to mid-level developers. All the common Java tasks you need are right there, and they work well. From compile to deploy, Ant has a solution. It just works.

I do have some complaints. I could complain about how hard it is to extend Ant. (Writing Java code to extend your build tool is just wrong) I could complain that it's extremely difficult to manage multiple projects with Ant using a common build system. I could complain that no matter how well I know how to use my Java tools, I can't write anything but a trivial build.xml without looking at the documentation or an existing build file. No matter what Ant's shortcomings are, there isn't any better solution out there.

Read: Defending Ant

Topic: Intermap - My Experience Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Tomcat Bible - A must own book for anyone using Tomcat

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use