The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
AOP in J2ME, huh?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Fred Grott

Nickname: shareme

Fred Grott is Lead Developer-CEO of ShareMe Technologies LLC -The Mobile Future
AOP in J2ME, huh? Posted: Nov 23, 2005 9:54 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Fred Grott.
Original Post: AOP in J2ME, huh?
Feed Title: ShareMe Technologies LLC-The Mobile Future
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/shareme/feed/entries/rss
Feed Description: A Weblog about Java programming and digital convergence on mobile devices in such areas as P2P and collaborative technology.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Fred Grott
Latest Posts From ShareMe Technologies LLC-The Mobile Future

Advertisement
Recently in February of this year Tira Wireless gave some details in how they use a rewritten javassist to use AOP to transform J2ME appplicatiosn per device for porting rather than manually porting code. Now, wha tif you do nto want to rewrite Javasssist to do accomplish this feat?

Lets see lets turn ot our favorite Eclipse IDE. We have both a nice ASM and ByteOutline plugins. So why not use ASM to do the bytecode transformation instead of rewriting javassist for J2ME?

If you pretend that we are rewriting bytecode wise the MIDlet class, the byteoutline would look like this:

bytecodeoutline midlet

The ASM generated code which would produce a class file is than shown in ASM view:

ASM View

What changes in the port process than for myself? That means instead of the commented code mess of preprocessing might be somewhat elimnated. You would have the bytecode transformation under CVS control and etc and thus back to knowing that it compiles the first time rather than the pick and try methods of preprocessing actions.

By avoiding manipulation at runtime we do not have to rewrite ASM for J2ME or javaassist for that matter. However, we still have to rewrite or extend ASM so that we are modifying code and inserting the modified code in the proper place. But, that is probably a better solution than a full javassist rewrite.

Read: AOP in J2ME, huh?

Topic: Writing Obfuscated Code Using Java Generics Part 1 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Software Outsourcing in China Hindered by IT Talent Shortage

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use