The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Care and feeding of IDEA EAP

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Chris Winters

Nickname: cwinters

Daytime: Java hacker; nighttime: Perl hacker; sleeptime: some of both.
Care and feeding of IDEA EAP Posted: Sep 15, 2003 6:56 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Chris Winters.
Original Post: Care and feeding of IDEA EAP
Feed Title: cwinters.com
Feed URL: http://www.cwinters.com/search/registrar.php?domain=jroller.com®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Chris Winters on Java, programming and technology, usually in that order.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Chris Winters
Latest Posts From cwinters.com

Advertisement
I track IDEA EAP builds fairly closely, installing a release within a day or so of its release. I've had very few problems with them, unlike a number of people on the forums who seem to have a slew of work-stopping difficulties. Here's my recipe, although it might not be appropriate for you if you're diskspace constrained:
  1. Download the full install, including the JRE. I doubt IDEA changes the JRE very often but as with everything I prefer to run in an environment they've tested.
  2. Run the installer program instead of the ZIP. Any imports or other modifications will be done in the installer, so use it. Plus: less work for me.
  3. Tell IDEA to install to a new directory. It blows my mind that people just unpack a zip over their existing install and expect it to work. Or even just point the installer to the previous EAP directory. If someone did that with software you shipped you'd call them an idiot. (Well, I would. Maybe.)
  4. Tell IDEA to use the installation directory for cache and index files, or at least use a brand new directory off your home. This is probably the step most people skip, preferring to re-use a directory in their home directory. And this is probably what causes the most problems. Yes, it takes longer to startup the first time since IDEA has to rebuild the caches and indices -- use it to catch up on your bile reading, or go browse around C2 or something. But from reading forums people continue to try and re-use these directories. And when the problem is fixed people post a sheepish, "I cleared my cache directory and it's okay now." Take the hint.
  5. Let the installer import your settings. I just point it to the previous EAP build directory and everything works.

That's it, easy. Granted, I don't stress the IDE as much as some do, but it works for me.

Read: Care and feeding of IDEA EAP

Topic: HowTo: Using XDoclet's StrutsForm and a 41KB j2ee.jar Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Sun plan would protect Java users

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use