The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
First Day

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Thomas Gideon

Nickname: cmdln

Thomas Gideon is a hacker curmudgeon.
First Day Posted: Sep 15, 2003 3:18 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Thomas Gideon.
Original Post: First Day
Feed Title: Command Line Interface
Feed URL: http://www.gideonfamily.org/roller/rss/cmdln?catname=Java
Feed Description: The blog of a programmer-hacktivist-curmudgeon who occasional rants about society, work, and technology, among other things. Now how do I get to a command prompt on this thing?
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Thomas Gideon
Latest Posts From Command Line Interface

Advertisement

So today was my first day at the new job. Again, I find myself searching for a handle on the situation. I am really impressed with at least two of my new co-workers. Both of these guys impressed me during my interview and that has been consistent with my interaction with them today. So they are definitely a positive, so far.

This is important since all the existing team members are Cobol programmers and the project is easing an automated migration from a green screen, mainframe app to a Java, web-based app. Yikes. And the initial migration appears to be just a screen for screen port, which leaves some larger questions about what next, despite vague re-assurances from the VP and CTO that there will be new development after the migration.

On the down side, the development environment is in a shambles, despite some good efforts to try to consolidate things. It does look like there will be room to help steer and shape process, practice and tools, especially since one of the existing developers is taking a very bulldog attitude about pursuing the right answers for each of these areas.

I guess the fact that there was no real orientation didn't help. A variety of people pointed me at a variety things and I am still trying to wrap my brains around it and fill in the logical gaps. The real knicker-twister is that despite the runtime environment being Tomcat (w00t), it doesn't seem like any of the ported code has been run successfully, yet.

At all events, we'll see what the next days bring.

Read: First Day

Topic: HowTo: Using XDoclet's StrutsForm and a 41KB j2ee.jar Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Myth of External Program Documentation

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use