The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
WordPress, PHP, Anti-Intuitive Reality, ...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
WordPress, PHP, Anti-Intuitive Reality, ... Posted: Aug 27, 2005 7:14 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: WordPress, PHP, Anti-Intuitive Reality, ...
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

Had an interesting conversation at the stuff meeting this past last Wednesday, i.e., 3 days ago:

Me: Hi, I started to read your blog.

Nathan: I've noticed. I did spend some time tweaking it. It was fun.

Me: It's quite polished.

Brad: Who's hosting it?

Nathan: I'm hosting it myself.

Brad: What software do you use?

Nathan: WordPress.

Me: Isn't that written in PHP?

Nathan: Yes. And it's quite an easy language.

Me: Didn't they put PHP code right there in the HTML pages?

Nathan: They do.

Me: Didn't we say that's bad?

Nathan: Apparently they are doing alright. Lots of people are using WordPress.

Me: And look at us. We tried so hard to separate our stuff into layers and all that and still can't manage the complexity. We have so many frameworks yet not anything as popular as WordPress.

Nathan: Not everyone needs the scalability. How many hits can I get?

Brad: You are hosting your blog in Java, right.

Me: Yes. I use Pebble with Tomcat. I like it a lot. A well designed tag library is a joy to use.

But why is this? Why do people (at least some people) flock to something like PHP, which we Java people know is "bad" (or at least were told is bad)?

Could it be because that Java, although good, is too hard?

Could it be because Java is not available out of the box? (If you want to do ASP.NET, you get a Windows server. If you want to do PHP, you get a Linux server. If you want to do Java, you get a what?)

Could it be because the Java implementations on different platforms are incompatible? (What's the latest version of Java on Mac OS X? on Solaris 7? 8? 9? 10? on Free BSD? On AIX? HP-UX? Tru64)

Could it be because the Java stuff is too hard to set up right for end-users? True that I can setup Pebble in five minutes, but that's assuming I have a working Tomcat environment. And that is in itself a non-trivial task.

Could it be because what we have been told this past ten years were wrong. That PHP is really superior to Java?

Could it be because contrary to what we believed and what we've been told by our bosses, we aren't that bright, and couldn't see something that is so plain to the PHP product vendors and users. Doesn't that Joel on Software guy have a product that's ASP on Windows and PHP on UNIX? I wonder why he did not use Java?

Fooled us, those @#$%s!

Read: WordPress, PHP, Anti-Intuitive Reality, ...

Topic: Revenge of the Ted: Yay Servlets! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Terrorists Behind Bangladesh Blast Ridicules Democracy, Calls for Islamic Rule, States Bush is...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use