The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Are Java programmers to cool for Cobol and RPG?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Norman Richards

Nickname: orb

Norman Richards is co-author of XDoclet in Action
Are Java programmers to cool for Cobol and RPG? Posted: Sep 7, 2003 11:42 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Norman Richards.
Original Post: Are Java programmers to cool for Cobol and RPG?
Feed Title: Orb [norman richards]
Feed URL: http://members.capmac.org/~orb/blog.cgi/tech/java?flav=rss
Feed Description: Monkey number 312,978,199
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Norman Richards
Latest Posts From Orb [norman richards]

Advertisement

In an earlier entry on the horrors of our relational database legacy, I was commenting on a statement that Jack was making about The Incredible Shrinking Legacy Workforces. The article, on the whole, wasn't terribly interesting, but one comment caught my attention: And even if students could get this skills training, how many members of Generation Y can we reasonably expect to voluntarily learn Cobol or RPG? They'd much rather work on hot new Web apps and emerging technologies.

The article is suggesting that there will be some sort of crisis due to the lack of new people trained in legacy systems. I'm not worried. These dying (but far from dead) technologies don't need to be the concern of younger techies. These are high pay (yes, companies will have to pay more and more to maintain leacy systems) high skill positions that are perfect fits for aging geeks. Long term marketability of skills isn't as big of in issue as leveraging years of experience to provide valuable skills. I'm not talking about guys who have worked their whole careers doing cobol, either. If I were another 5 or 10 years into my career, I'd consider retraining myself in a legacy technology wif the deal was lucrative enough.

And if a company isn't willing to offer premium pay for these skills? They can either move their systems towards more modern technologies to attract cheaper labor or perhaps these skills will be outsourced to countries with cheaper workers.

I don't know how legacy skills will be preserved, but I don't see why there would be any reason to think they should be preserved by younger workers. If there is any skill set crisis, it will be short lived. Market forces will prevail.

Read: Are Java programmers to cool for Cobol and RPG?

Topic: I wish Java supported negative array indices Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: RE: WebWork Fun

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use