The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Russell Beattie

Nickname: rbeattie

Russell Beattie is a Mobile Internet Developer
#456 Posted: Sep 6, 2003 1:19 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Russell Beattie.
Original Post: #456
Feed Title: Russell Beattie Notebook
Feed URL: http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/rss.jsp?q=java,code,mobile
Feed Description: My online notebook with thoughts, comments, links and more.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Russell Beattie
Latest Posts From Russell Beattie Notebook

Advertisement

Okay, so I downloaded Skype - the new P2P voice-chat app by the guys at Kazaa - and I have to say how freakin' rocking it is! Moof and I spent an hour today chatting with it and it was completely comfortable, glitch-free and high-quality. Very cool - we're both waiting for the conference version so we can do a multimedia #mobitopia!

And that lead to random mobile application idea #456: Someone needs to wire this up with my mobile phone. I mean *now* not some day in the future. Here's how I see it. First a native Symbian app on the phone accesses the Bluetooth connection to a PC and streams voice each way. At 1650 bytes/sec for GSM-encoded voice, Bluetooth has more than enough bandwidth to handle it. This would allow your Symbian device to act, believe it or not, as a phone. On the PC side, a Bluetooth server sits and acts as a gateway between the serial port and the P2P voice app.

Now - I don't want the client to just be a dumb headset with a mike. I want to be able to start the app up, get access to my normal address book, choose someone I know has the same setup, and to attempt to make the call via BT. Now if the call doesn't go through, I want it to swap to a normal GSM connection and then dial that one.

There's already someone out there that's developed a proprietary VoIP app that'll work with WiFi and Bluetooth gateways. What I'm talking about is a basic Symbian app and a custom PC-client for the P2P bit. Native Java could handle that part.

:-)

-Russ

Comment

Read: #456

Topic: So You've Had An Idea... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Testing with a Clock

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use