The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
JavaCard powers US Military Security

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
a san juan

Nickname: kalimantan

asj is a molecular biologist who got stuck writing java.
JavaCard powers US Military Security Posted: Sep 3, 2003 8:54 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by a san juan.
Original Post: JavaCard powers US Military Security
Feed Title: small devices in my dandelion patch
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: J2ME, emergent software and other tiny things.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by a san juan
Latest Posts From small devices in my dandelion patch

Advertisement

With all the hype surrounding J2ME on cellphones and smartphones nowadays, it's easy to forget how successful JavaCard has become in the realm of smartcards. I remember when I used to play around with it in late 1990s, before becoming enamored of servlets and J2EE. Since embedded Java developers seem to earn more on average than J2EE developers, perhaps that was not such a wise choice ;-)

The U.S. Department of Defense has launched an initiative called Common Access Card, which features a smart card enabled with public-key-infrastructure capabilities that runs the Java Card run-time environment on chips with 32 Kbytes of memory. The department has issued more than 3 million cards to military personnel and contractors. They are used to gain access to military bases around the world, log on to computers, obtain medical or other benefits, and digitally sign and encrypt E-mail. The military is issuing 10,000 cards a day at about 1,500 locations in 15 countries and hopes to have 4.3 million cards deployed by the end of the year. More than 150,000 smart-card readers also have been deployed.

"We've always said that we're trying to bring the Department of Defense to the same place that the credit-card world has always been," says Bill Boggess, a division chief for the access- and authentication-technology division at the Defense Manpower Data Center. "Today, you can't buy at McDonald's without them prechecking your card." The department hopes its card will provide that type of swift authorization for its personnel around the world. In addition to protecting against enemy threats, just keeping track of the large number of people entering and exiting military facilities poses a challenge. One base in the Midwest has 400,000 personnel coming and going each day, Boggess notes. "When you're dealing with numbers like 4.4 million active duty and reservists, knowing who they are and where they are when they log on to systems is a huge step forward," he says.

Read: JavaCard powers US Military Security

Topic: Cool Google feature Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Sun's Mad Hatter Blasts at Microsoft

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use