The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Why i am not trendy (no Mac OS X notebook)

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Marc Logemann

Nickname: loge

Marc Logemann is founder of www.logentis.de a Java consultancy
Why i am not trendy (no Mac OS X notebook) Posted: Sep 1, 2003 3:49 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Marc Logemann.
Original Post: Why i am not trendy (no Mac OS X notebook)
Feed Title: Marc's Java Blog
Feed URL: http://www.logemann.org/day/index_java.xml
Feed Description: Java related topics for all major areas. So you will see J2ME, J2SE and J2EE issues here.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Marc Logemann
Latest Posts From Marc's Java Blog

Advertisement

Today everybody seems to propagate java development on a Mac OS X notebook. Celebrities like James Gosling, a bunch of Apache Jakarta developers, Bill Venners and zillions of other developers are using it right now, and they all let us know that this is the way to go.

But they seem to forget (at least James should know it) that SUN doesnt promote this operating system on the tools side. Lets take the Sun Wireless Toolkit, probably the best Java tool Sun ever created. Its only available for WinXX and Linux/Unix and even if you can get around using it, its bad that you must live without it. Lets stay in the J2ME space, i could name a lot of J2ME SDKs of several phone vendors, which are somehow only avaiable on Windows platforms.

I assume that running IDEA doesnt result in major problems, but the performance could be a problem, if you dont have one of these ultra-expensive titanium notebooks. But lets go further. I am using a specialized management Software for IBM iSeries Server Systems (Surveyor/400), having a Siemens mobile phone datasuite for syncronizing, using DJ java decompiler some times and having for sure a lot more tools which are not available on Mac OS X or not in a adequate variety (think of UML tools).

If i wouldnt developing software, i really would buy that thing, but being quite dependant on many little tool vendors for software development for a million different areas and reasons, i really cant throw away windows at the moment. Even if the software "problem" wouldnt exist, the price in germany for a speedy Mac Notebook is extraordinary, which doesnt make the decission easier.

Read: Why i am not trendy (no Mac OS X notebook)

Topic: Another iTV-Havi-MHP-MVB Resource site Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Sun Closing on High-Availability App Sever, Missing J2EE 1.4

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use