The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
At last: intelligent UI layout

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Gosling

Nickname: jgosling

James Gosling is an engineer at Sun Microsystems
At last: intelligent UI layout Posted: Jun 26, 2005 9:22 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by James Gosling.
Original Post: At last: intelligent UI layout
Feed Title: James Gosling: on the Java road...
Feed URL: /jag/feed/entries/rss?cat=%2FJava
Feed Description: I've been inescapably tagged as "the Java guy", despite the fact that I havn't worked in the Java product organization for a couple of years (I do still kibbitz). These days I work at Sun's research lab about two thirds of the time, and do customer visits and talks the other third. For more detail...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by James Gosling
Latest Posts From James Gosling: on the Java road...

Advertisement
One of the cool things being shown off today at NetBeans day is Matisse, an open-source plugin that does intelligent layout of user interfaces. As you drag and drop components, it automatically derives constraints (which you can tune) between the components in the new UI. This gives a developer experience that has the ease of use of a simple absolute/matrix positioning UI layout system (which is what almost all UI editors do) and yet produces layouts that have the ability to respond to dynamic behavior like resizing windows or internationalization (ever try to put German labels on buttons sized for Japanese?)

This works particularly well with the advanced components from JDNC, like the intelligent table that allows you to easily connect data sources to table cells. With the drag and drop layout and wiring, this gives you an incredible ability to build desktop apps very quickly.

Read: At last: intelligent UI layout

Topic: [Jun 16, 2005 10:05 PDT] 17 Links Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: How to Protect your RSS Feeds from Unscrupulous Aggregator’s

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use