The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Happy Tree Friends and Java projects

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Carlos Villela

Nickname: cvillela

Carlos Villela is a Java developer working mostly with web technologies and AOP.
Happy Tree Friends and Java projects Posted: Aug 29, 2003 2:56 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Carlos Villela.
Original Post: Happy Tree Friends and Java projects
Feed Title: That's sooo '82!
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/rss/cv?catname=Technical
Feed Description: Carlos Villela's weblog. Everyday life, everyday software development, everyday musings.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Carlos Villela
Latest Posts From That's sooo '82!

Advertisement
Come on now... how can a cartoon so cute be, at the same time, so sick? I just finished watching all the episodes of Happy Tree Friends, and I'm still laughing so hard at them I think I still have tears in my eyes. This is definitely something you should show to your kids when they ask "why shouldn't I be running with scissors?" or questions alike.

The basic sketch of any HTF cartoon is: the cute little characters are having fun at a pacific place, singing or humming along, in all happyness and joy, until something really tragic happens - or a combination of really tragic things, most of the time. Brains popping out, pulled by the eye nerve after an unsuccessful attempt at removing a lollipop that got stuck into one's eyeball, or something absurd like that, is the definition of "tragic" in this case.

But what the heck does this have to do with Java projects?

Well, the basic sketch of 10 out of the 10 Java projects I've been so far is: the cute little programmers are having fun at a pacific software development company, singing or humming along, in all happyness and joy, churning out code, tests and documentation, until something really tragic happens - or a combinationof really tragic things, most of the time. Managers yelling "this has to be done by October 1st, and I don't wanna hear another question!", after the nth warning that the schedule won't be met by the developers, who can't be productive enough given the tools, architecture and, most importantly, bad specifications they're working with, or something so common like this, is the definition of "tragic" in this case.

When watching any HTF cartoon, you get a constant sensation that something really bad will happen, and you start trying to guess when and what will happen to the little cuties, and IMHO, that's where the fun is. The good thing with the cartoon is that this usually only takes a few seconds, and that it cracks you up when bad things happen. On the other hand, being on a project that gets months to finally burst in flames is definitely something to screw up a team, waste a lot of money and resources, and a good way to put away any developer's sense of humor.

Next time, I'll be watching the management, and be extra careful when I see them running with scissors ;)

Read: Happy Tree Friends and Java projects

Topic: J2ME for World Domination Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Maven vs. Ant

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use