The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Confessions of a Java Zealot

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Norman Richards

Nickname: orb

Norman Richards is co-author of XDoclet in Action
Confessions of a Java Zealot Posted: Aug 28, 2003 3:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Norman Richards.
Original Post: Confessions of a Java Zealot
Feed Title: Orb [norman richards]
Feed URL: http://members.capmac.org/~orb/blog.cgi/tech/java?flav=rss
Feed Description: Monkey number 312,978,199
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Norman Richards
Latest Posts From Orb [norman richards]

Advertisement

I'm a zealot. It didn't dawn on me until I saw the Most Zealous Zealots poll at slashdot. I'm free software loving, emacs zealot with strong opinions of where braces go. I hate Microsoft with a passion, and I have to confess that ever since I got my iBook in last year I've been quite a fan of apple. I've yet to enter the r*****y d********n f***d, so I'm can't count myself as a true zealot. (if you are curious, I refuse speak or type out the term because I am convinced that the first step to entering the Jobs RDF is to use the term RDF. I'm putting myself in danger just using the initials, where is my tin foil hat?)

So, yes I am a Zealot. Yes, I owned an Amiga. Yes, I refuse to use any calculator that doesn't have RPN. (yes, the HP 48 is the one true calculator) Yes, it's spaces and not tabs. And yes, I program in Java. It's only natural.

Being a true zealot, I feel it's my duty to help stomp out unapproved forms of zealotry. Some forms of Java zealotry are hard to identify since they take an anti- form without actually promoting any pro- zealotry. Nonetheless, I've tried to identify a few of the more annoying ones.

• Ant zealots - I like Ant. But I like make too. I'm not sure why every discussion of Ant has to start by bashing make, but I think it's a bit silly. I commented on this a while back.
  • No Entity Bean zealots - Yeah, EJB is messed up. Yes, entity beans have problems. But they aren't all bad.
  • Anti-XML zealots - People seem to bash XML left and right. It's a favorite off-hand remark of conference speakers. I don't know if they actually believe XML is evil or if they are just trying to be controversial to get attention. I think XML is cool. I've written enough parsers and worked with enough ad hoc data formats that I think XML is pretty special

Read: Confessions of a Java Zealot

Topic: Alex at the Park Before the Storm Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Mobile Goodness

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use