The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Model talking to Service Layer: Good practice or bad?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
dion

Nickname: dion

Dion Almaer is the Editor-in-Chief for TheServerSide.com, and is an enterprise Java evangelist
Model talking to Service Layer: Good practice or bad? Posted: Jun 7, 2005 4:28 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by dion.
Original Post: Model talking to Service Layer: Good practice or bad?
Feed Title: techno.blog(Dion)
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/dion
Feed Description: blogging about life the universe and everything tech
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by dion
Latest Posts From techno.blog(Dion)

Advertisement

In general I am a fan of OO practices, and giving as much behaviour as possible to my object model. Of course, this is within reason, and I only want my model to have the logic that makes sense for the given objects.

However, I often find that a lot changes when I see model's that are used on the web tier.

I often run across this pattern:

• Action talks to Service layer which returns dumb model objects
  • Model objects are placed in the request
  • View generates page, using the model

Since the model contains simple properties, with the odd piece of simple logic, and relationships, if a page (view) needs to get more information, it either:

• Runs another action, which in turn talks to the service layer again to get the new info
  • The original action has multiple calls to the service layer

I actually prefer a different way of doing things. I want the dumb model smarter. I want to do real object design, and have rich behaviour in the model. In fact, I sometimes take it so far that my userSession object can traverse to most pieces of data as needed, but that is another matter.

What does this all mean? Imagine that I have a core model object that I return, and I want the object to have a method: Collection getAssociatedActivities().

What does this method do? Well, it could simply be walking our in-memory data, doing a lot of munging and calculations to work out the association based on rules.

However, this may not be enough. Maybe a complicated query needs to be done to work this out. Rather than using a Comparator and sorting through the model, and doing a bunch of aggregations, I want to let the database do what a database is good at.

This means that the implementation of this method changes from:

public Collection getAssociatedActivities() {
        // sort through data model, using a lot of Comparators, making sure the data is all loaded, etc etc.

// 50 lines later...
        return theAssociatedActivities;
}

to something like:

public Collection getAssociatedActivities() {
        SomeService service = getSomeService(); // injected, via a BeanLookup, or what have you

return service.calculateAssociatedActivities(); // in here the services tier talks to the data tier to do a lot of the work
}

Implementation Encapsulation for Performance

What I like about tweaking the implementation of this method, is the fact that it is all encapsulated. At first I can put it in code directly. If it needs to go back to the service tier based on:

• Performance: Turns out the DB can do this a lot faster
  • Cleanliness: Nicer to be shared at that tier
it can simply be done.

Choosing in the web tier

Compare this to an approach I see all the time, in which the web tier decides what value objects it wants back. In this case, when the interface needs to change to hit the services tier, either:

• The main Action hits the services tier again to grab the associated activies object and plugs it in the request
  • The view does a pull which hits another Action, responsible to hitting the services tier and getting the associated objects

Any which way, you end up changing a lot, just for this issue. The web tier is totally changed for performance reasons. The rich object model is compromised, taking functionality out, for performance reasons.

Conclusion

I like rich models, and I like hidding as much as possible underneath. This allows me to change the engine under the hood without bugging the folks on the web tier. Thoughts?

Note: Cameron had some interesting things to say about Protecting the Domain Model

Read: Model talking to Service Layer: Good practice or bad?

Topic: XBox 360 - Reaching 1 billion people? - Interesting interview of J Allard, Microsoft Corporate... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Links for 2005-05-31 [del.icio.us]

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use