The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Private methods are your friend

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Norman Richards

Nickname: orb

Norman Richards is co-author of XDoclet in Action
Private methods are your friend Posted: Aug 15, 2003 3:43 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Norman Richards.
Original Post: Private methods are your friend
Feed Title: Orb [norman richards]
Feed URL: http://members.capmac.org/~orb/blog.cgi/tech/java?flav=rss
Feed Description: Monkey number 312,978,199
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Norman Richards
Latest Posts From Orb [norman richards]

Advertisement

Now here is an odd position: "Now, just don't even get me started on the use of the private keyword on methods! My hatred for it is the same as final on methods and you should NEVER do it."

I would have never imagined that someone could be against the use of private methods. I use private very liberally. Of course, all instance variables are private. I never leave instance variables with package or protected access. If I want my internal state to be exposed, I'll expose it. The same is true of methods. Unless a method is public API, I will normally make it private.

I don't normally design classes to be extended. I've been burned by inheritence too many times to think that it's a good thing in general. But occassionally I do. When I do, I try to design around protected abstract methods. I won't go as far as to make the public methods final, because that's a bit too presumptuous for me, but I will make the internal methods private.

If you leave a method public, people will call it. It becomes part of your public API whether you want it to or not. That type of leakage is very bad. I don't want people relying on my implementation. But if I don't want callers relying on my details, I don't want to go protected and let subclasses have access either. Inheritence is already fragile enough as it is. I don't want to add to the problems with unnecesarily exposed methods. And the risk increases when you allow subclasses to override your internal methods. If any class has visibility enough into your implementation to feel comfortable overriding code that wasn't meant to be overridden, they probably have the ability to refactor the code to allow that to be legitimate extension point.

So, private methods are your friends. They reduce the chance of other classes coupling themselves to your internal functions and make your code cleaner and more robust. That seems like a win to me.

Read: Private methods are your friend

Topic: Is this what Freeroller.net needs? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Luxor Contrib Website Kick Off

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use