The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
A MS Smartphone OS Prediction_MS Going J2ME

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Fred Grott

Nickname: shareme

Fred Grott is Lead Developer-CEO of ShareMe Technologies LLC -The Mobile Future
A MS Smartphone OS Prediction_MS Going J2ME Posted: Mar 28, 2005 5:25 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Fred Grott.
Original Post: A MS Smartphone OS Prediction_MS Going J2ME
Feed Title: ShareMe Technologies LLC-The Mobile Future
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/shareme/feed/entries/rss
Feed Description: A Weblog about Java programming and digital convergence on mobile devices in such areas as P2P and collaborative technology.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Fred Grott
Latest Posts From ShareMe Technologies LLC-The Mobile Future

Advertisement
Now that seems out of place at this blog, but hold on I do have a point that pertains to J2ME and java on mobile devices that have a connection to a network. My prediction is that by 2009 that Microsoft will deploy a J2ME JVM with thier SmartPhoneOS offerings to OEMs.

And unlike MsMobiles blatther babble about issues that do not affect connected mobile devices and other inane idiiot babble we will give you the trend insigth of why this will happen. First and foremost what is the largest segment of a market where develoeprs new to a langague program?

Its not the desktop OS or the server OS markets. Its Mobile and specifically mobile devices with a connection to a network. In this relam of development economics any tool paltform at any price looses. Look at the take up of all free IDE tools amoung mobile developers when compared to not free IDEs in price and you see IDEs such as Eclipse and etc. Economically and business wise these developers do not have the revenue yet to pay for a high priced IDE no matter whcih company is attmepting to push it into the market.

And once these one developer shops start making money in mobile connected device application development market they are not going to increase their operating expenses by buying high priced IDEs to comeplte with thenew mobile connected device developers. Thus, so what other trends are dricving the underlying language choices?

In a world where the Mobile Operator is using the mobile device to sell the full expereince of using their its no longer the independent developer chocie of java that is chooisng the overall langauge choice on mobiles. Its the added vaule of java in lovwering the costs of those Mobile Operators gettingboth the physical device to sell and the consumer entertainment applications to sell their users.

J2ME related TCKs that allow OEMs to customize J2ME JVMS and APIs to implement J2Me on Mobile OS are significantly lower than the comparable offerings from other language platform vendors. Than of course on the developer side we we have free IDEs and mini-IDEs such as SUn's own Wireless Toool Kit leading the charge of low cost development.

So why would Microsoft choose to put a J2ME JVM on their SmartphoneOS platform? Because in the mobile network connected market actually giving the full adedd value that Mobile Operators are requesting is in fact the way to get developers for the application side of that paltform OS. The higher number sof J2Me develoeprs writing midlets for the MS SmartphoneOS and the higher numbers of Mobile Operators choosing MS Samrtphone results in MS SamrtPhoneOS competing effectively with SymbianOS with the key not in independent devloeprs themselves but the indriect route of getting Mobile Operators.

There is one somewhat good example of some of these trends coming to pass, Qualcomm's Brew platform. When Qualcomm choose to deploy the J2ME language platform on top of their OS offering to Mobile device OEMs, they saw a dramtic increase in Mobile Operators and Mobile Device OEMs choosing this OS platform.

Some have attempted to show that the underlying choice of Mobile Ooperator network protocols such as CDMA and the network infrastructure such as Qualcomm's CDMA technology somehow predicts what the device numbers and mixture would be with mobile operators as far as what language platform gains momentum. The Qualcomm's choice of J2Me deployment on Brew is the counterpoint to this debate by MSMobiles.com.

Even with the PalmOS platform morphing into the new PDA network connected platform you also see the choice of deploying the J2ME Platform to give fulll added value to the mobile operator structure of reducing development costs accross both the application developers and their system devlopers to add value to the selling of Mobile Operator services. If you observe Microsoft history that Microsoft does in fact at times choose to compete with a segment of the full development infrastructure in order to 'save their OS platform'.

How does this affect technology like eVC++ on MS Mobile OS platforms? Well, Symbian has had eVC++ on SymbianOS for years has it caught on in that segment of the market? Deploying language technology that requires infinite amount of time and headaches to integrate with a Mobile OS destroys the added value of reducing mobile devleopment costs amoung boht application and system developers within the Mobile Device network connected devices! The full market will always have more than one flavour of Mobile OS and the only way to reduce costs amoung all development segments is to deploy a language platform that works on all Mobile OSes the same exact way.

Even, Microsoft itself admits that by deploying their MS.NET Virtual Machine technology that they have reduced some of the development costs of windows platform application development amoung the different windows OSes of wiNT and their personal windows platforms. So why not the MS.NET paltform on other Mobile OSes? Because the developer infrastructure of having free tools to develop mobile applications on MS.NET on other OSes is not even in the market yet compared to the J2ME Java offerings already within the market. Because its not good to fight more than one busienss front at a time, Microsoft will not choose this route of geting their Mobile portion of MS.NET on other Mobile OS platforms.

There is on other trend that we cannot forget to highlight in this trend towards Microsoft depoying J2ME JVMs on their MS Smartphone OS platform in 2009. While the Java Commmunity Process(jcp.org) is not an FOSS developmental process full of open doors and full public dsiclosure and etc; it does provide a wealth of information for those courting the Mobile Operator/Mobile network infrastructure. Close inspection of all J2ME JSRs reveals a little historical view of at what time specific Mobile Operators began their dramatic climb in the market as you see their joining specific key J2ME JSRs as an indication of their start of that dramtic market share rise.

Whereas the participants of JCP are receiving 'free' information of where these Mobile Operators and Mobile OEMs are headed in their technology innovations amoung service offerings; Microsoft is at very large disadvantage by not participating in this orginization developmental structure. In fact Microsoft does desire such a 'free' information conduit to unlocking the keys to Mobile OEMs and Mobile Operators for their MS SmartPhoneOS platform.

Read: A MS Smartphone OS Prediction_MS Going J2ME

Topic: The Rails Hype Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Confused about CLDC?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use