The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
JavaOne Updates on the new language features.

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Avery Regier

Nickname: caveman

Avery Regier is the maintainer of the open source project DevWiki, and a developer for John Deere.
JavaOne Updates on the new language features. Posted: Aug 12, 2003 2:33 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Avery Regier.
Original Post: JavaOne Updates on the new language features.
Feed Title: cAVEman's Musings
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Musings of Avery Regier on the subject of Java, DevWiki, J2EE, Java operating systems, and whatever else strikes my fancy.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Avery Regier
Latest Posts From cAVEman's Musings

Advertisement
I was at the BOF last night for how the new language features will be affecting the libraries. Here's a little of what I've learned.

Resolving Variable Arguments
It looks like there are two simple rules that will make resolving varargs methods.

1. Resolve everything normally first.
  2. Resolve to the most specific method.
Generics aren't so simple as we thought.
When you start looking at how the Collections Frameworks implement generics, you start seeing how complex this will all be for library writers (like me). Here's a test: Is the following valid?

public interface Collection<T> {
    public void addAll(Collection<T> collection);
    public void add(<T> o);
}

public class Foo {}
public class Bar extends Foo {}

Collection<Foo> foos = new ArrayList<Foo>();
foos.add(new Foo());
foos.add(new Bar());
Collection<Bar> bars = new ArrayList<Bar>();
bars.add(new Bar());
foos.addAll(bars);
Answer: Nope! So what is the issue?

It isn't adding a new Bar() to foos because for public void add(<T> o);, <T> includes subtypes. The problem comes with public void addAll(Collection<T> collection); Here, Collection<Foo> is not inclusive of Collection<Bar>. It's not exactly intuitive that this limitation exists.

This fixes it:

public interface Collection<T> {
    public void addAll(Collection<? extends T> collection);
    public void add(<T> o);
}
This means that a Collection of objects of any class that extends T. <T extends ?> would mean for Bar, Object, Foo, or Bar, or for Foo, only Object or Foo. Basically, the ? is placed where it would be in a class definition. When I first read this, I thought the semantics should be the opposite of this. This syntax is not exactly terse. The syntax of this is definitely subject to change, and hopefully it will. If you have any ideas that would be easily read and written, I'm sure the JSR folks would love to hear it right now.

By the way, you're probably wondering like I did what you'd ever use <T extends ?> for. Here's the main use case: Comparators. A comparator of Foos is valid for Bars, but a comparator of Bars isn't valid for Foos. Wrap your mind around these for a little while, and you'll see why just simple generics syntax isn't good enough. I just wish <T> always included the subtypes unless specifically noted otherwise (with maybe something like <*T>, which is nice and terse.)

Read: JavaOne Updates on the new language features.

Topic: Hibern8IDE is seriously cool Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: The Geronimo proposal

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use