The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Gateway Software Symposium - Day 3

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Mike Shoemaker

Nickname: mikeshoe

Mike Shoemaker is senior Java developer using Ruby
Gateway Software Symposium - Day 3 Posted: Mar 21, 2005 3:03 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Mike Shoemaker.
Original Post: Gateway Software Symposium - Day 3
Feed Title: Unruly Rambling (java category)
Feed URL: http://www.shoesobjects.com/blog/feed.xml?flavor=rss20&category=java
Feed Description: My thoughts on software, technology, and life in general
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Mike Shoemaker
Latest Posts From Unruly Rambling (java category)

Advertisement

Java Collection Power Techniques
By: Glenn Vanderburg
Glenn's talk covered many of the methods that live on the Collection interface which many programmers end up implementing themselves. He also showed many code examples of advanced way's to utilize decorators and adapters with Collections. I've done some of this in the past so I was pretty familiar with the concepts. Unfortunately, many of the problems he solved after this seemed to be very academic in nature and I can't say that I've run across them in the real world. That's not to say I will never, but at this point I will take them for what they are worth. The best take away from this session is to look around before implementing something yourself.

Introduction to Spring
By: Bruce Tate
I'm typically not a big fan of Bruce Tate's presentations since they are very slideshow driven but since there was nothing else of interest, I attended anyway. I've been looking at Spring for sometime now so I'm fairly well versed with what it can do. My goal was to gain some insight for his presentation and apply it to one that I will be giving soon. All in all, he did a pretty good job describing the benefits of Spring. One thing that scared me was he made the comment that Spring is similar to the BASF marketing spiel "We don't make a lot of the products you buy, we make a lot of the products you buy better". I've said this very thing several times in the past couple months. Weird!

Javascript Exposed
By: Glenn Vanderburg
All I can say is Wow. I never knew Javascript was as robust a language as Glenn portrayed. The talk started off talking about how Javascript got a bad name back in the early days of Netscape and Internet Explorer. Neither did a very good job of supporting it. The other downfall was that developers were not really learning the language either. Instead of starting from the ground and working their way up, they performed copy/paste/modify routines that quickly spread bad or inferior code world wide. The next 30 minutes or so went over the language constructs followed by a demonstration of how dynamic typing works. I got pretty lost from this point forward. The one take away I had from this was that if I ever need to do anything in Javascript moving forward, there will be a learning curve. Im interested in the upcoming release of Tiger that will introduce Dashboard widgets. These are small javascript modules do quite useful things. Looks like I will be face down in the books Glenn suggested in the near future.

Read: Gateway Software Symposium - Day 3

Topic: Coyote: Dynamic language support in NetBeans Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Open Source + Service = Profit?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use