The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Answers Forum
Java graphics options for map editor..

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jónas Tryggvi Jóhannsson

Nickname: deus

Java graphics options for map editor.. Posted: Jul 29, 2004 7:42 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Hi.

I'm creating a map editor where the maps are suppose to be quite big, all 2D. It is to be used for path finding experiments also, so i need to be able to view some info on top of the landscape/background.

I've been using BufferedImages, one opaque as background where i draw the landscape, and then layering other transparent BufferedImages on top of that with additional information. I'm only drawing things like 10x10 3D rectangles in different colors for different kinds landscape (rocks/grass). Now when the maps get bigger, i see that this will not work. My map editor runs out of memory just trying to draw the background image on big maps :)

Now i have to use some other method of creating the graphics, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to go. I would like to be able to zoom in and out on the maps, so vector graphics would be a good idea, but as i have no experience in 3D computer graphics and not sure what OpenGL implementation should be used in Java I'm not sure what is the best way to go.

Any help or comments are appreciated.

Topic: Hi I'm new to java Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Namespaces with JDOM

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use