The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Answers Forum
PHP Developer wants to learn Java platform

2 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: May 14, 2004 5:32 AM by Meryn Stol

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Meryn Stol

Nickname: meryn

PHP Developer wants to learn Java platform Posted: May 12, 2004 5:53 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
Hi all,

I'm a PHP developer with three years of programming experience. I have a good understanding of software architecute and design patterns. Now PHP fails short to my needs, and I want to switch to the Java platform.

I don't expect I have any trouble with static typing, interfaces and such. I feel familiar to these concepts.

I'm searching for a book or a guide that gives me complete insight in the Java platform, especially information regarding HTTP Servlets, threading, JDBC connectivity (connection pools..?), and such.

I don't want a Java programming course or a reference manual. These can be found easily.

I've read some about J2EE, but I don't want to use that. I don't like some choices it's engineers made, so I rather make use of other (open source) libraries or frameworks.

Can you recommend a good book or other resources which can give me guidance in this matter?

SRV001

Nickname: srv001

Re: PHP Developer wants to learn Java platform Posted: May 13, 2004 6:43 AM
Best book I have seen is:

Java for the Web with Servlets, JSP, and EJB: A Developer's Guide to J2EE Solutions
by Budi Kurniawan

$33.99 at amazon.com

Will be out in second edition very soon.

Meryn Stol

Nickname: meryn

Re: PHP Developer wants to learn Java platform Posted: May 14, 2004 5:32 AM
Thanks!
I'm currently reading the sample chapters, available at
http://www.ftponline.com/javapro/2002_10/online/book_bkurniawan_10_08_02/ ,and they already cleared some things up for me.

I can't wait to port my application to Java! :)

Flat View: This topic has 2 replies on 1 page
Topic: java beans Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Searching OBT's

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use