The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Artima Developer Spotlight Forum
Akka Concurrency by Derek Wyatt Published!

4 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jan 22, 2014 11:57 AM by Asko Kauppi

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Bill Venners

Nickname: bv

Akka Concurrency by Derek Wyatt Published! Posted: Jun 6, 2013 8:58 AM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement

You can get your copy here:

http://www.artima.com/shop/akka_concurrency

Reading this book will help you "get" Akka, to understand how best to approach programming with actors and futures. One unique feature of this book is that it is written in a refreshingly entertaining style for a tech book. As a sample, check out this snippet from the introduction to the chapter on futures:

We’ve come to the second great axis of Akka’s concurrency paradigm, the future. Futures have been around for a while now, but you’ve probably never seen them like this. These are futures on steroids; tiger steroids, laced with the blood of Superman, dripping with the testosterone of Batman, and in- fused with the power of Green Lantern’s Ring. If you’re not ready to have your brain set on fire, close this book, curl up in the fetal position, and sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star softly to yourself until you’re good to go.

The future and the actor share a certain number of similarities as well as differences, but they are also designed to work together very well. In this chapter, we’ll see these similarities and differences as well as explore some patterns for tying the two components together.

For more info, check out the table of contents and sample chapter.

Ersin Er

Nickname: 75845

Re: Akka Concurrency by Derek Wyatt Published! Posted: Jun 22, 2013 11:54 AM
Are we going to be able to download the source code of book's examples?

Raymond Tay

Nickname: tayboonl

Re: Akka Concurrency by Derek Wyatt Published! Posted: Jul 29, 2013 8:58 PM
Enjoyed reading it :)

wlsn nym

Nickname: wilsonch

Re: Akka Concurrency by Derek Wyatt Published! Posted: Sep 4, 2013 3:51 AM
What formats do the ebooks come in?

Asko Kauppi

Nickname: akauppi

Re: Akka Concurrency by Derek Wyatt Published! Posted: Jan 22, 2014 11:57 AM
Hi, Bill

I'm *surprised* to see that you found the style of the narration "entertaining". I personally found it disturbing, and at times simply annoying. However, within that sugar-coating there is a rather good book underneath. I'm trying to salvage that, by marking what all I find excessive. I hope Artima would like to see those notes.

To me, this book got to print without editing. I read my entertaining elsewhere, and for programming books I prefer concise, well flowing text. The "jokes" mostly stand in the way, and i.e. it takes some 60 pages to get anywhere practical in the book.

Luckily, there are new versions of Akka already out, and at some point the book should be revised. I hope the entertainment gets ruled out.

Frankly, I was expecting better of Artima. The "staircase book" (2nd ed) is an amazingly readable and well-flowing book.

Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Topic: Scala Puzzlers now available as PrePrint Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: A Hazard of Covariant Return Types and Bridge Methods

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use